• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dog and rabbits advice

CarrieBun

New Kit
Hello, I'm new to the forum and would really like some advice.

I have 3 beautiful bunnies who I absolutely adore, they have a double bedroom as their room and free roam when me and my partner are home, my partner would really like to get a golden retriever puppy and I am hesitant because of our bunnies, I would hate to make them feel uncomfortable and I really do not want them harmed in any way.

Does anyone else have any experience with rabbits and dogs?

Hello & welcome to the forum. :D
although i know many people mix dogs & rabbits or cats & rabbits, my personal opinion is that it would be an accident waiting to happen. dogs are naturally hunters & rabbits are prey.

Hi welcome to the forum :wave: I'm afraid I agree with the above post. If your bunnies have free range time, it would be extremely difficult to keep a boisterous puppy away from them. That said, there are members who do have dogs, cats and rabbits, so maybe they will have other suggestions.

I have two dogs (a labrador and a collie). I also have rabbits, a group of 4 who live in an outdoor shed/aviary set up and 2 who live in the dining room. I have a dog gate on the door way (like a baby gate but taller) with c and c grids cable tied onto it so the rabbits cant get through the bars.

I also have a puppy pen with cable tie hinges and dog lead clips to hold the pen sbut. This means that even when I let the rabbits out of their pen area (over half the room) the dogs are still unable to get to them.

So I would advise keeping them separate.

Hello & welcome to the forum. :D
although i know many people mix dogs & rabbits or cats & rabbits, my personal opinion is that it would be an accident waiting to happen. dogs are naturally hunters & rabbits are prey.

100% agree with this. We’ve brought our pup up around rabbits, and I wouldn’t trust her one little bit. They are now behind a gate and wall so that she can not access them.

Hello, I'm new to the forum and would really like some advice.

I have 3 beautiful bunnies who I absolutely adore, they have a double bedroom as their room and free roam when me and my partner are home, my partner would really like to get a golden retriever puppy and I am hesitant because of our bunnies, I would hate to make them feel uncomfortable and I really do not want them harmed in any way.

Does anyone else have any experience with rabbits and dogs?

I've had dogs and rabbits at the same time, never went for dogs that were hunting or prey driven though personally.

If they were just in the bedroom, and you had a lock for the door so it couldn't be pushed open for example and the pup was away from them, I don't think it would necessarily be an issue.

That's my plan for when I move anyway, in my new house when it's done (currently renovating) the 4 buns are getting the master bedroom, we're going to put a sliding lock on the outside of that door. When we are out the dog will be crated downstairs in the kitchen extention area (with the door to that shut too)

I've actually had a mini lop and a German shepherd who lived together free range with no issues, however I wouldn't recommend this, or ever do it again. There were absolutely no issues but I think it's irresponsible to have and also I don't agree with letting them play together or getting anywhere near each other.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Personally I wouldn't risk it.As others have said rabbits are prey animals,all it takes is one little trigger in a dog and you could have a tragedy.

I have two lurchers and an assortment of small furries, including 3 outside rabbits. I would not trust the dogs (mine or any others that may visit) with access to the rabbits, so they are kept separate by a variety of fencing / puppy panels / wooden runs and the dogs are on tethers if they are outside so they can't physically get to the rabbits, until the rabbits are away for the night. The rabbits are not bothered by the dogs as long as they don't have to be right next to them and the dogs are not overexcited - but that means constant supervision, which inevitably means lapses which could be fatal, so I can't risk it. Putting a run in the middle of the garden is not a good idea as a dog will run round it and stress out the rabbits. The dogs also toilet in a different area that the rabbits never have access to.

I have a dog and 6 Rabbits. My dog has been around Rabbits since he was 8 weeks of age. He's now 3.5 years. I would never allow him access to free ranging Rabbits.

My Rabbits totally ignore my dog and he returns the 'compliment' !! :lol: But I emphasise that it is a case of constant supervision at all times

Back