• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hand rearing (bloated ?)

I've been hand rearing an orphan domestic rabbit for 2 weeks (3 weeks old)
I fed it at 5am and let it feed until it didnt want anymore. Today the kit doesn't want any milk still looks full and seems sleepy.
This hasn't happened before.

Last edited:
I've been hand rearing an orphan domestic rabbit for 2 weeks (3 weeks old)
I fed it at 5am and let it feed until it didnt want anymore. Today the kit doesn't want any milk still looks full and seems sleepy.
This hasn't happened before.

I don't know anything about raising kits unfortunately but there's a great pinned thread in the health section.

I think they feed one or two times a day? And looking full is a good sign? Is the bun peeing and pooping okay? At 3 weeks old is the bun still just on milk? (sorry I've no clue on kit timelines)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I don't know anything about raising kits unfortunately but there's a great pinned thread in the health section.

I think they feed one or two times a day? And looking full is a good sign? Is the bun peeing and pooping okay? At 3 weeks old is the bun still just on milk? (sorry I've no clue on kit timelines)

Hi yes seeing and pooping normally, still on milk but has a couple of pellets in there too.

What Milk are you feeding and how much ? At 2 weeks of age it is too soon to be adding any pellets

These links may be useful

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

https://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/health/hand-rearing/

I hope the Kit has survived, bloat is not a good sign :cry:

The kit is 3 weeks old not 2. Currently on lactol cat milk and whole goats milk.
Gave some fibreplex and encouraged movement for 10 min every hour then left him to sleep and hoped for the best.
Today bloat has gone, kit behaving normally, lively.
Also feels warmer.

The kit is 3 weeks old not 2. Currently on lactol cat milk and whole goats milk.
Gave some fibreplex and encouraged movement for 10 min every hour then left him to sleep and hoped for the best.
Today bloat has gone, kit behaving normally, lively.
Also feels warmer.
Glad the kit seems to be doing better :) that link Jane posted was the one I mentioned, it seems really informative :)

Yes I had a read when you mentioned it :) some great info x
Ah I'm glad :)

Do you just have the one kit? I really hope he or she continues to do okay, it's supposed to be really hard raising kits with no mum, so it sounds like you're doing a great job :) x

Sending you some positive vibes for continued success. Jane always provides links to wonderful information; and the other members of RU also give great advice.

Ah I'm glad :)

Do you just have the one kit? I really hope he or she continues to do okay, it's supposed to be really hard raising kits with no mum, so it sounds like you're doing a great job :) x

Thank you so much x
Yes just the one kit (male) only survivor of 6. He was the biggest of the litter so that may have given him an extra boost.
We have (controversially) named him Inlé as he is all black.
The advice in this forum is phenomenal, I researched a lot on here before I joined.
Thank you all so much x

Back