• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New hutch

Rosie2002

New Kit
So I’m a first time rabbit owner and I’m looking for a decent sized hutch for the indoors, the rabbits will mainly be free roamed in my bedroom and I don’t have any intention of locking the hutch doors when I’m out, so they’ll have access to my full room once they’ve settled In. I was looking at the bluebell hutch from pets at home but I don’t know if that would be big enough? Pets at home also have a 180cm hutch but would that really be necessary if they’re hardly going to be in it? (Forgot to mention but I’m getting Netherland Dwarfs). Any reply’s would be really appreciated!

I would probably get a hutch just so that they have a base and not even lock them in at the beginning. If everything is bunny proofed then there is no reason for them to be locked in, that way you can get a smaller hutch that isn't an eyesore in your bedroom and more room for tunnels and bunny toys!

Doughnut has the run of downstairs, she has a hutch as a base but doesn't normally go in it! I'm actually wondering now whether to get rid of mine, you've made me think if I actually need it. Going to do a separate post to see what other members think!

Last edited:
Thankyou! Yeah my room is already bunny proofed and there’s no cables/cords they can get to so they should be pretty safe.

I have two rabbits indoors. They have their own room and just have tables to go under and a wooden box which one of them loves to hide in.

They also have cardboard boxes to hide in and chew which they love!

i73die.jpg

Loganberry is on the box which is squished up to the hay rack in this pic.

9jq32r.jpg

2pt2x3k.jpg

If they are free roam I wouldn’t bother with a hutch. They’ll still need a base as their ‘safe place’ - check out the Ikea bunny hol on Instagram. They are usually about £10 or £20 on Facebook marketplace and look much nicer in your home x

Thanks for all the replies. I’ve decided to order the bluebell hutch and once they’ve settled in, I’ll start to free roam them, hopefully they won’t destroy my room x

Try to get them used to using a litter tray as this will help when you let them free-roam. Putting hay in the litter tray encourages them to use it.

You’ll need to rabbit proof the room if you don’t want it destroying :) Rabbits are chewers and will destroy things, for sure. So best to be prepared beforehand so that you don’t lose anything valuable to you. Male/female pairs work best, both neutered of course. Are you going to get them from a rescue? If not I would definitely consider this - they will already know their temperament, they’ll be neutered bonded and vaccinated.

I would also suggest going to a rescue. My two came already neutered, bonded and vaccinated. They are so happy together!

Yeah I am going to look at acouple today but there’s only one rescue near us that have bunnies so hopefully they’ll have some. If not we’ll probably get them from a reputable breeder x

Yeah I am going to look at acouple today but there’s only one rescue near us that have bunnies so hopefully they’ll have some. If not we’ll probably get them from a reputable breeder x
Rescue is the best option imo, they will come ready neutered and vaccinated and unlike baby bunnies there’s much less chance of the bond breaking, as so often happens when they hit puberty. There are so many bunnies in rescue of all ages, you can find your nearest one on http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/ there are often rabbit rescues people don’t know about on there.

Thanks, I’ll have a look now, I know there’s an rspca rescue about 40 minutes away from us but I don’t think there’s anywhere else, I’ll check though x

Back