Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Updated #37: Doughnut has survived myxi due to being vaccinated

  1. #1
    Warren Veteran cpayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dartford
    Posts
    6,607

    Default Updated #37: Doughnut has survived myxi due to being vaccinated

    I haven't been on here for ages as my IT at work blocked the site! I just wanted to let everyone know please vaccinate your rabbits and share my experience of myxi, it wasn't what I thought!

    Doughnut had been tiddling outside of her tray, took her to my specialist, no infection but as soon as she was on metacam it seemed to clear up a lot. Had antibiotics too but they didn't have time to kick in before I noticed a change straight away. She still wasn't right and I thought she needed a dental so 2 weeks later she had two teeth out. She didn't seem to recover very well at all, not eating so a week later tramodol was added in. She was constantly wet underneath and something not right, also her eyes were wet underneath, so a week later back she went for bloods. At this point I was syringe feeding her meds and food. She would just lay on the soaking wet urine newspaper. I would pick her up syringe then place her back on dry newspaper. When I took her for bloods on the Friday my specialist felt some lumps internally. I asked them to shave her as she was so wet and her tail was tiny and can see the skin on the backs of her legs.

    By Sunday as she was soaking wet I noticed her hocks and tail were red raw, so I went to get some F10 barrier cream. You can use sudocream but it has zinc in it so they can't keep licking it off as it's not good for them. I bathed her with warm water and cotton wool, then towel dried her and used the hair dryer on a low heat then applied the cream. I really thought this was it as she's never been so ill.

    On Monday it seemed she was a lot brighter and eating on her own and actually dry, by Wednesday when I went to see my specialist she was back to normal! The bloods had got lost in the post so he run the tests in house. He said he thought she had had myxi and the lumps had shrunk a bit. I can still feel them, they feel like little pips inside, she has no nodules to be seen. Apparently there are two types of myxi. Anyway the bloods have come back clear, although since he's on holiday I don't know what he has tested for. I'm seeing him in two weeks to discuss and to check the lumps, so I am hoping they will just disappear and it was myxi.

    It is an awful disease, even in vaccinated rabbits. Doughnut is 8 and weighs 1 kilogram so can't believe she survived, it has been a horrendous time and know if she wasn't vaccinated she wouldn't be here.

    I just wondered if anyone else's rabbit had had this type of myxi.
    Last edited by cpayne; 27-08-2019 at 10:19 AM.

  2. #2
    Alpha Buck TheBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    873

    Default

    Gosh, that sounds very odd indeed. Iím so pleased that she survived for you, though. There are two types of myxo that I know of - full blown and nodular. Ive nursed a myxi bunny only once, he wasnít mine and had only been vaccinated a week or so when he contracted it. He sadly died despite putting up a courageous fight.

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    12,631

    Default

    What a horrendous time you & Doughnut have had So pleased she is on the mend.

    Thanks for sharing your experience & advice

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Above Ground ATM
    Posts
    140,191

    Default

    I was only thinking about Doughnut yesterday and wondering how she was doing. I am sorry she has been poorly, but as she has a fantastic Specialist Vet looking after her then at least you can be assured that she will be receiving the best Veterinary care. Doughnut may be a tiny Bunny, but my goodness she has proved to be a very strong one, coping with so many complex health problems from a very young age. Also, your determination not to give up on her has played a huge part in her survival. I really hope that she will make a full recovery from this recent illness, whatever it is/was.

    As an aside I miss seeing you around on RU and hearing updates about Doughnut xx


    Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

  5. #5
    Warren Veteran cpayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dartford
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBee View Post
    Gosh, that sounds very odd indeed. I’m so pleased that she survived for you, though. There are two types of myxo that I know of - full blown and nodular. Ive nursed a myxi bunny only once, he wasn’t mine and had only been vaccinated a week or so when he contracted it. He sadly died despite putting up a courageous fight.
    It's an awful disease.

  6. #6
    Warren Veteran cpayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dartford
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    What a horrendous time you & Doughnut have had So pleased she is on the mend.

    Thanks for sharing your experience & advice
    Ah you're welcome. I was totally shocked he thought it was that, I was beside myself thinking it was cancer and no idea why she was wet. He's so good that I'm sure he is right in what he said, just wanted others to know it presents itself sometimes different to what you would expect!

  7. #7
    Warren Veteran cpayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dartford
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    I was only thinking about Doughnut yesterday and wondering how she was doing. I am sorry she has been poorly, but as she has a fantastic Specialist Vet looking after her then at least you can be assured that she will be receiving the best Veterinary care. Doughnut may be a tiny Bunny, but my goodness she has proved to be a very strong one, coping with so many complex health problems from a very young age. Also, your determination not to give up on her has played a huge part in her survival. I really hope that she will make a full recovery from this recent illness, whatever it is/was.

    As an aside I miss seeing you around on RU and hearing updates about Doughnut xx
    Ah thanks Jane, now I can log on it will be easier to keep in contact!

    She's had lots of dentals since she turned 7 and a few teeth taken out now. But she's such a happy little one, still twirling round and begging all the time and following me everywhere. So nice she's back to normal now.

    Yes so lucky to have Mark and she's a little fighter. I gave her a little talking to. Told her I wasn't giving up on her and she was to fight as I wanted and needed her around for many more years.

    How are your bunnies and Morse? xx

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Above Ground ATM
    Posts
    140,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cpayne View Post
    Ah thanks Jane, now I can log on it will be easier to keep in contact!

    She's had lots of dentals since she turned 7 and a few teeth taken out now. But she's such a happy little one, still twirling round and begging all the time and following me everywhere. So nice she's back to normal now.

    Yes so lucky to have Mark and she's a little fighter. I gave her a little talking to. Told her I wasn't giving up on her and she was to fight as I wanted and needed her around for many more years.

    How are your bunnies and Morse? xx
    I think Mark is a bit smitten with Doughnut and who can blame him !! He has done so much to keep her as well as possible and I am sure that he will continue to do so.

    At the moment my Bunnies and Morse are doing OK thank you. Lord H still has his chronic neurological problems and recently I have acquired a tiny REW Nethie Doe (Dara) who also has neurological problems and respiratory tract problems. But she is like Doughnut, a very happy Bunny. Full of character and VERY affectionate She is bonded with a young mini Rex Buck called John-Joe who is completely bonkers


    Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

  9. #9
    Warren Veteran cpayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dartford
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    I think Mark is a bit smitten with Doughnut and who can blame him !! He has done so much to keep her as well as possible and I am sure that he will continue to do so.

    At the moment my Bunnies and Morse are doing OK thank you. Lord H still has his chronic neurological problems and recently I have acquired a tiny REW Nethie Doe (Dara) who also has neurological problems and respiratory tract problems. But she is like Doughnut, a very happy Bunny. Full of character and VERY affectionate She is bonded with a young mini Rex Buck called John-Joe who is completely bonkers
    Haha yes she is his favourite and also a favourite of one of the rabbit expert nurses. She comes out into reception when she knows I'm in to get Doughnut out of the carrier for a cuddle and kiss! Then goes back into work lol. She is totally spoilt there but then again she is spoilt everywhere. She's the favourite of the bunnery lady and also stays in her house and also my pet sitter if I am only going to be late home. I think it's because she is so little , cute and friendly. She goes up to everyone hoping for a treat and begs.

    Ah Dara sounds cute! It's lovely you give homes to rabbits who need expertise. Pleased Lord H is still doing well.

  10. #10
    Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,952

    Default

    On no poor Doughnut It must have been such a tough time but I'm glad she has come through it ok. She really is a tough little cookie!

    Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

    Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

    At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

    Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •