• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to brush the unbrushable

Orenoko

Mama Doe
My lovely little Lilac is not a fan of being brushed at all (soft bristled brush in case anyone is wondering). She's not really a huge fan of being stroked in general, which is fine, she knows her own mind, but I took her to the vet for her vaccinations and he mentioned how scruffy she was and that she needs brushing to prevent her ingesting too much fur when she cleans herself. I know the vet is right, and I do pull out any stray clumps when she lets me, but that's not very often and she gets annoyed after a while and runs off. She's still on her own after losing her husbun Teddy a couple of months ago so there's no one else to groom her. I've started wetting my hands and just rubbing them all over her to help, is there anything else I can try to help get her used to the brush?

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

My lovely little Lilac is not a fan of being brushed at all (soft bristled brush in case anyone is wondering). She's not really a huge fan of being stroked in general, which is fine, she knows her own mind, but I took her to the vet for her vaccinations and he mentioned how scruffy she was and that she needs brushing to prevent her ingesting too much fur when she cleans herself. I know the vet is right, and I do pull out any stray clumps when she lets me, but that's not very often and she gets annoyed after a while and runs off. She's still on her own after losing her husbun Teddy a couple of months ago so there's no one else to groom her. I've started wetting my hands and just rubbing them all over her to help, is there anything else I can try to help get her used to the brush?

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Have you tried using a grooming glove eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/Small-Animal-Grooming-Glove-Chinchillas/dp/B001MKAY44

I have had bunnies with arthritis and I put a comb (I use a good comb that does not have scratchy teeth) between the skin and fur and trim the ends of the fur to prevent matts or remove tangles.
Perhaps do a little each day.

Back