• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded rabbit died leaving partner alone

Jade_J

Young Bun
Hello,

Unfortunately one of my rabbits had to be put to sleep yesterday morning after becoming very sick very quickly. She was bonded to a Male rabbit, Smudge, who is now on his own.

I’ve kept him in the house to keep an eye on him but have now put him back outside as I’ve two young children who are a little noisy and I didn’t want to stress him out anymore.

When I first brought him home from the vets he seemed to be looking for her so my partner laid her out on her towel on the kitchen floor but Smudge didn’t seem to pay her much attention. However he did immediately begin to eat... first time I’d seen him eat since it happened. We then took her away again after a few hours. He’s always been a bit like a grumpy old man, he’s quiet and loves a stroke and can get a bit grumpy but he’s lovely, anyway it’s hard to tell how he is feeling because he has always moped around a little. Having to put him outside on his own though is heartbreaking.

I’m wondering when would be the best time to find him a new partner? He’s just over 6yrs old and was with Binky for 5.5yrs.

I also have another pair of rabbits and I was wondering whether to try and bond him with them but I don’t know whether that would stress him out even more? Fluffy, the female, is the boss of that relationship and also loves a nose rub and Rusty, the Male, is extremely shy/nervous (he’s a rescue rabbit). They don’t seem very close like Smudge and Binky were, I think they more put up with each other.

Just looking on some advice on what to do next really and what’s best for Smudge.

I am sorry you have lost Binky. Smudge will cope outside while he is alone and some people get a new friend soon after and some wait. I personally would look to getting Smudge a new friend rather than trying to put him with your other pair. I think you have more chance of success this way rather than stressing the other pair out. Are your bunnies vaccinated?

Sorry to hear that you have lost Binky. Are there any rabbit rescues near to you, some will offer a bonding service, so that Smudge could get to meet a few potential partners first. In the meantime lots of fusses and a few treats will help him adjust I'm sure. Good luck

Whereabouts in Cheshire are you? I think I would find a rescue to bond Smudge rather than attempt a trio:)

I’m actually in Lancaster now, my profile needs updating as I’ve not been on for ages. I’ve rang the local animal rescue but they don’t have any single bunnies so I’m going to try and find another one but there don’t appear to be many around here!

Back