• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Suspected URTI advice please

Thank you xx

She'll be in the car round about now to head up to Potters Bar for the scan. The vet I spoke to yesterday was very reassuring about the procedure for the scan itself, although with any form of sedation you can never rule out complications. At the moment I'm just glad I went for the RVC to do this rather than the more convenient option of the local hospital!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Thanks very much everyone xx

I've just had a call from the vet. She's had the scan and is recovering nicely, although she's still quite sleepy.

They did a nasal swab but from what I understand they couldn't go as deeply as they would have liked. Apparently even under the sedation she was fighting them! They did get something and are going to send it off for analysis, although he did warn me they might not get accurate results.

They haven't done a full analysis of the scan yet, so I won't get the results back until tomorrow. He did say from a quick glance nothing obviously bad was jumping out. I did ask if that meant there wasn't an issue with her tooth roots but he said it's too early to say at the moment. I'll get the full picture tomorrow once they've had the chance to have a good study of the scan.

I'm due to go and pick her up this evening around 6.45. Hopefully after a few hours of more rest she'll be feeling a lot brighter by then.

Thanks very much for your vibes and support xx

I’m glad it is over and she’s recovering, I hope the results don’t reveal anything untoward xx

brave girlie. Bet you can't wait to get her. positive scan result vibes. Nothing jumping out sounds good!

Thanks both xx

Yes, I'm very anxious to get her home. We normally get a train and bus there but I'm splashing out on a taxi for the way home because she's had a sedation and a pretty stressful couple of days. Plus I don't want to have to fight my way through the evening rush hour!

I wonder how she'll be within herself this evening? Scrappy always took a while to recover after a sedation whereas Peanut Butter bounced back straightaway. This will be the first time I've experienced it with Fudgie.

Glad to hear the scan went well, fingers and paws crossed here for a good result x hope she's home now and recovering nicely. Well done Fudgie xxx

She's home!

We just got in about 5 minutes ago. She seems a bit shell shocked to be honest. She's hiding away in the bedroom at the moment. I'm going to keep an eye on her this evening. She's had some syringe feeds at the hospital today. If she doesn't eat for herself by the time I go to bed tonight I'll give her another feed just to put my mind at rest she has enough food in her tummy. In the meantime I'll leave her alone and give her time to settle.

so pleased that she is home, yes it must be so unsettling for them. Hope she settles down and starts eating for herself soon x

It must feel weird - being whisked away to strange places & having even stranger stuff done to you without understanding why.

When they are at the vets all you can think is you want them home, then when they are at home they give us more worries.

Well its been a big few days for Fudgie, hopefully she'll be back on form tomorrow & you'll get a reassuring call about scan results.

I hope she is tempted to eat by now & Snoopy is being nice xx

Thanks both xx

J&B, you're so right! I've been desperate for her to come home but now she is I can't help worrying about her as she is so out of sorts. They did say that they'd given her some vetergesic. She's not as zonked as she was last time she was given it but that, coupled with the sedation, will explain why she's not 100%. To be honest she's behaving in exactly the same way Scrappy did when she came back from her scan. That experience does help a bit as I know this isn't unusual so I'm not panicking at this stage.

She has come out if the bedroom and had a bit of water but she isn't eating yet. I think it's likely I will have to give her a syringe feed.

Snoopy is being nice to her, he went and sat with her in the bedroom earlier. He seems glad she's home.

So I did end up doing a syringe feed. She was quite feisty but took the feed well, which is reassuring. I've taken myself off to bed so she can have a bit of peace and quiet. I'll check on her again early in the morning but I'm hoping she'll be feeling a bit better by then.

Thanks for asking after Fudgie.

Good news is that we do have some poops, a bit smaller than usual and misshapen but I guess that is to be expected. She still doesn't seem to be eating for herself yet though so I'm carrying on with the syringe feeds. When I speak with the vet later I'll ask about adding in gut meds and possibly metacam as well.

She is brighter in herself and is having bursts of energy where she runs around a bit. But she does then seem to tire quickly and has to go and lie down again.

So she is doing better but still not back to normal. I guess she's one of those bunnies that takes a bit longer to recover from a sedation and so needs extra supportive care afterwards.

Thanks for asking after Fudgie.

Good news is that we do have some poops, a bit smaller than usual and misshapen but I guess that is to be expected. She still doesn't seem to be eating for herself yet though so I'm carrying on with the syringe feeds. When I speak with the vet later I'll ask about adding in gut meds and possibly metacam as well.

She is brighter in herself and is having bursts of energy where she runs around a bit. But she does then seem to tire quickly and has to go and lie down again.

So she is doing better but still not back to normal. I guess she's one of those bunnies that takes a bit longer to recover from a sedation and so needs extra supportive care afterwards.

Did they give her any fluid therapy after the sedation (IV or SQ) ? Sometimes this can help with recovery so if she did not receive fluids it may be something to mention should she require more sedation/ a GA. Also, some Rabbits do take longer to clear Buprenorphine (Vetergesic) from their system. So I would not be at all surprised if she takes a good 48 hours to get back to normal. Some fresh herbs may tempt her to eat for herself. If you have an Aldi near you they are selling pots of Coriander, Mint, Parsley, Basil and Rosemary for 48p each.

Sorry not to have been around for a couple of days. Sending loads of vibes for Fudgie's recovery and I hope you get some reassuring news about the scan result soon.

To be honest I don't know if she received any fluids, but I certainly ask the vet when he calls.

When I took her in on Wednesday I did mention my concern about using vetergesic as she had such a strong reaction to it last time. He did say they would look at giving her a lower dose. I guess her system is still trying to get rid of it.

I do have an Aldi round the corner from me so I shall go and stock up on more herbs. I've got lots of stuff out to tempt her: fresh grass and forage, some fresh herbs but she's not really interested at the moment.

Boobly says her favourite recovery foods are pear & tenderstem broccoli . It makes sense she is out of sorts learning she has had buprenorphine as I've read how that can affect buns (Rudey had some after his Valentine scrap with Joe but it seemed to have no negative effects - he appeared exactly as without it)

Loads & loads more vibes xx

Back