• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lawn boost!

SamH

New Kit
Hi all - brand new to the group!

I'm looking for some advice to give my lawn a boost.. My house backs onto a wooded area and so our garden is really dry from the trees around us. Any grass I have is eagerly munched by my bun Melvin and so all that's left really is dusty soil and some type of moss. I was wondering if other people have boosted their lawns, and if so do you do this by using just a grass seed or something different like a fertilizer to make it lush and green?

Any help would be amazing, thank you :)

Sam x

You can get different mixes of grass seed for different areas eg shade mix.
Moss grows in damp conditions, so you need to improve the drainage to stop it growing - spiking it all over with a fork to several inches deep, and brushing sand in the holes will help; or dig sand into the top layer of soil. Grass seed can go straight on top. Autumn is a good sowing season as it will be wetter but warm enough to germinate.

Grass will struggle to grow under the dry shade of trees and hedges, no matter what you do. You could look at growing something different there that is still bunny friendly. There may be some wild plant seed mixes that will grow under hedgerows (maybe look at Galen's garden?). eg, Herb robert, wild mustard, dead nettles.

If the rest of the area isn't too shaded, I would top the existing soil with a mix of sand and compost. Either work a thin layer into the existing lawn, or lightly dig it in to the top layer and re-seed the area.

Back