• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Might have to say goodbye to Strawberry tomorrow

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Went to put Strawbs away tonight and his eye was hideously swollen. His third eyelid is huge and bright red and his eyeball bulging.

Ran him to the emergency vets who said it looks like an eye injury, has jabbed him with pain relief and anti-inflammatories and given him some eye cream. We have to go back tomorrow afternoon but if it hasn’t calmed down (which he thinks is unlikely) we would be looking at removing the eye. As Strawbs is 11 years old the vet didn’t feel he would survive a GA so it is likely we will be staying goodbye to him.

I knew at his age this day would come soon but I can’t believe something like a piece of hay or thorn could cause it.

Thinking of you both today :(
Would be lovely for his eye to go down by your next appointment but if not and removal is necessary then I really hope he's strong enough to get through the GA.
I know it's hard at his age, but don't give up all hope just yet, rabbits can be stubborn little things and can surprise you. I really hope he makes it through the GA if it's needed.
Thinking of you :( *hugs*

I'm so sorry to read this. I really hope that strawberry's eye improves and I will be thinking of him today. Sending vibes for Strawberry. xx

Eye is still very swollen this morning and he hasn’t touched his food overnight. I’ve just moved the bowl closer and he has started nibbling some green beans.

We are back st the vets at 3pm unless he has a sudden deterioration. If the only option is to remove his eye then we won’t be going through with it. He is too old to cope with that sort of invasive surgery and the aftercare. He stresses every easily out of his own environment.

Thinking of you both today :(
Would be lovely for his eye to go down by your next appointment but if not and removal is necessary then I really hope he's strong enough get through the GA.
I know it's hard at his age, but don't give up all hope just yet, rabbits can be stubborn little things and can surprise you. I really hope he makes it through the GA if it's needed.
Thinking of you :( *hugs*

I agree! Thinking of you and Strawbs xx

We said goodbye to Strawberry this afternoon. The vet got a second opinion and neither of them thought they could do anything for him and that PTS was the kindest option.

We’ve had him nearly 11 years so will take some getting used to him not being here and Elliot will really miss his little garden buddy.

I’m so very sorry :cry: thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Binky free Strawberry xx

I am very very sorry to read this. You gave Strawberry a wonderful life with all the love he could have wished for.
Binkey free beautiful Strawberry. xx

Back