• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

burrowing is it boredom?

WK-Bunnies

New Kit
Hi All,
My 2 Dutch well Eve in particular has decided it's fun to dig up the turf in their run and try to create a burrow I suspect, not sure if she is trying to escape the run.
Could this be a sign of boredom?
They do have a large plastic box full of play sand to dig in, but Eve is preferring to dig up the natural environment, any ideas how can let her do this without fear of escape or her hurting herself on the fox proff wire we laid below the turf in their run to prevent escape?

Thanks in advance

Mine stop when they reach an obstacle :) Aboleth found a metal object in the lawn and didn't get any further!

I don’t think it’s boredom, it’s just expressing a natural behaviour :D

If they aren’t using the box could it be the sand? I would try switching the sand for soil.

sand for soil did cross my mind thanks.

and yes Dutch are known to dig little darlings.

I am considering, boxing off a corner of their run, and dumping a pile of soil there so they could knock themselves out ;)

That sounds like a plan :D

My last bunny had a huge planter in the garden filled with soil and she absolutely loved it, but she never bothered with any of the other digging boxes I gave her with different materials.

they have hay which they never seem to get through to be fair, I top it up or change it every day

Thanks for the advice folks

Boredom? Probably not, it's their instinct to dig. They feel safe in their underground tunnels. All of our rabbits dig. The garden is now a set of tunnels.
There was a time when I thought, naively, that bucks don't dig but then we adopted Harvey, who turned out to be an excavation expert.

Back