• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can Baytril cause red urine?

MichelleBee

Alpha Buck
Hi there,

So Mavis is at least nine years old and regularly goes in to stasis for no apparent reason. However, this time I was fairly sure she had a UTI, as she was passing very small amounts of urine and seem to be straining. Hence the vet giving her Baytril.

She's been on it for a week now and today I've noticed that she is passing much more urine, but its red.

I know that red urine is often nothing sinister, but given her age and potential UTI, it freaked me out a little.

I will take her back to the vet if it continues (or at least ring for advice), but given that's taken us a week and lots of persistence, syringe feeding and medication to get her out of stasis this time, I'm reluctant to disturb her unnecessarily.

Has anyone else noticed red urine whilst their buns have been on Baytril?

Thanks

Hi there,

So Mavis is at least nine years old and regularly goes in to stasis for no apparent reason. However, this time I was fairly sure she had a UTI, as she was passing very small amounts of urine and seem to be straining. Hence the vet giving her Baytril.

She's been on it for a week now and today I've noticed that she is passing much more urine, but its red.

I know that red urine is often nothing sinister, but given her age and potential UTI, it freaked me out a little.

I will take her back to the vet if it continues (or at least ring for advice), but given that's taken us a week and lots of persistence, syringe feeding and medication to get her out of stasis this time, I'm reluctant to disturb her unnecessarily.

Has anyone else noticed red urine whilst their buns have been on Baytril?

Thanks

I cant say I have noticed it as a S/E

Has she been eating anything like dandelion leaves which can cause red urine.

Is she spayed ?

Thanks for replying.

She has eaten a lot of raspberry leaves, some dandelion leaves and quite a few apple leaves, as this was all she would eat until Sunday when she started eating a little hay.

She is spayed. The vet couldn't feel anything untoward last week (we were at the vets four times and saw two different vets who are rabbit savvy, so I'm confident that they're right, although of course this doesn't mean that there definitely isn't anything there).

Bright red or kind of a dark orange?

If it's bright red, I once had a guinea pig with a chronic bladder issue who reacted badly to Bayril - she peed bright red blood if she was ever on it.

More of a dark red. It's hard to tell, as I'm just going by the newspaper in her litter tray. Some of it was a little sludgy.

Back