• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit chewing clothes

wench

Young Bun
Hello, one of the rabbits I recently adopted Ernie, a 3 year old neutered male) constantly chews my clothes when on my lap. I don't mind the damage to my clothes as I can just wear old ones. However I wondered why he is doing this? He seems so focused whilst he is doing it, like it's the only thing that matters. Is it a comfort thing and if so how can I relax him or is it an aggressive thing where he is trying to show me who is the boss? He never bites me, just moves around my top biting holes in it

Hello, one of the rabbits I recently adopted Ernie, a 3 year old neutered male) constantly chews my clothes when on my lap. I don't mind the damage to my clothes as I can just wear old ones. However I wondered why he is doing this? He seems so focused whilst he is doing it, like it's the only thing that matters. Is it a comfort thing and if so how can I relax him or is it an aggressive thing where he is trying to show me who is the boss? He never bites me, just moves around my top biting holes in it
dear wench,-as you found out rabbits are consummate chewers,and one reason they require grasses [diet]-to try and keep their teeth at bay because they constantly grow and need to be delt with-daily..--may need to adjust diet,or dental inspection,for overbite,alignment problems,which will only get worse with out proper diet..--sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa

One of my bunnies, Raven, a neutered male, sometimes likes to chew. I keep his favorite cotton towel on my lap and he will chew small pieces right out of the center. He does not eat the pieces because all the bits he chews off are left behind (plus I see them drop from his mouth). Raven eats lots of hay, yet he requires regular dentals because of the angle of his molars (his fronts are fine).
Does your bunny only chew certain types of fabric/clothing or does he also chew carpet, furniture, pillows, and/or bedding?
Some bunnies enjoy chewing cardboard tubes/empty cereal boxes/and other items. Some just like to shred ithese items (my Raven gets empty cereal boxes I open on each end and bend into a tube); other bunnies will actually eat these items which may not be desirable.

Back