• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bertie's grubby chin

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Bertie has a grubby chin. He ate wet parsley very greedily a few days ago but hasn't cleaned it. I'm wondering if the staun is caused by his scent gland. He is eating hay well and producing good poos so I don't want to drag him off to the vet unnecessarily. Needless to state, Bertie will not let me clean his chin.
e32acc395b36cfbdfe19d49822d64313.jpg
b3ab922511501e95ddd92f6663f5c52c.jpg

Sent from my 5051X using Tapatalk

I honestly don't know, I've never seen a scent gland stain, so wouldn't know what to look for. Maybe there was a bit of soil or something in the hay he's got round his chops. Other than that, he does look so handsome, stain or no :love:

Can you see if the skin looks inflamed or if it's just stained fur ?

Is his chin damp a lot of the time ?

Chronic bacterial dermatitis is a possibility in that are, even in the absence of Dental problems and it can start around the scent gland area.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Bacterial_dermatitis_lagomorphs.htm

Pseudomonas aeruginosa, an opportunistic pathogen can cause a moist dermatitis and it often affects the chin/dewlap. It can make the fur turn green

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Pseudomonas_Infection.htm

Fungal infections are another possibility, the chin being one of the most likely areas to be affected

If he wont let you have a proper look at the actual skin then personally I would want him Vet checked, just to err on the side of caution :)

I managed to get my finger under his chin last night when he was feeding, and the fur isn't damp. Thanks for the links Jane. I'm hoping Bertie will do a flop soon so that I can have a good look at his chin. He's a very sweet boy but almost impossible to handle!

I managed to get my finger under his chin last night when he was feeding, and the fur isn't damp. Thanks for the links Jane. I'm hoping Bertie will do a flop soon so that I can have a good look at his chin. He's a very sweet boy but almost impossible to handle!

'Hands off' Bunnies can be a real challenge cant they !! If only we could get them to understand that if they just co-operated for a couple of minutes it we mean less stress for them and for us !! I am sure you will take Bertie to the Vet if you have any doubts what-so-ever about his chin issue. It is probably more likely that his fur gets wet when he drinks from a bowl and then gets stained by whatever hay/forage etc he eats.

If I tried to have a good look at Roisin's chin (not that I need to but as an example) she would eat my head :shock: Roisin does not 'do' being poked and prodded about by her slave. Being picked up needs military preparation and strategic planning :shock: She needed her anal glands cleaned out a few days ago, anyone would think I was trying to kill her :roll: She then sulked for hours, but the lure of her favorite Cavolo Nero became too much to resist and she gave in and ate when I was watching !!

Bertie's chin looks worse this afternoon so he has a vet appointment tomorrow. I hope I can catch him at the crucial moment!

Morning all! I had a practice catching of Bertie session last night. He's in fine form apart from the chin issue, so speed and a confident swoop will be needed to secure his furry majesty...

Morning all! I had a practice catching of Bertie session last night. He's in fine form apart from the chin issue, so speed and a confident swoop will be needed to secure his furry majesty...

Good luck and sending lots of vibes !! xx

Bertie is safely home and absolutely FURIOUS. The vet bathed his chin but said best to let the greasy fur grow out. She asked if he had been near other rabbits and getting excited! His teeth were checked and vet happy to lengthen his dental checks to 3 months.

Thanks for the vibes!

Bertie is safely home and absolutely FURIOUS. The vet bathed his chin but said best to let the greasy fur grow out. She asked if he had been near other rabbits and getting excited! His teeth were checked and vet happy to lengthen his dental checks to 3 months.

Thanks for the vibes!

I am glad that the Vet found nothing too worrying.

Now how to placate an enraged Bertie................. :? Good luck with that one !! :lol:

So pleased to hear nothing serious with Bertie, yes I think lots of treats may be required ! :lol:

Thanks for the vibes!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So glad he's OK!

Thanks for the vibes!

I'm glad that there was nothing seriously wrong. I think that some grovelling is in order now though :lol:

Back