• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pepper's at the vets

:D Good luck with medicating! We also used a fenugreek crunchie and let it soak in to get baytril into Lopsy :) He's much easier than Pepper though, he likes being stroked but not restrained.

Well done Pepper and so pleased he is on the mend. You'll probably need to make a 'Pepper fajihta' with a towel to get meds onto him. Plenty of nommy treats for afterwards (I always find dried cranberries useful) because Pepper will quickly learn what's happening. I know it'll be a stressful few days until all is sorted but you will get there and so will Pepper.
Topping up the vibes for Pepper. xx

Good boy Pepper, so pleased you are feeling better, but you need to take your medicine so play nice xx

Yay! Boysie's back - like nothing happened.....

T1iNm9g.jpg

PG2Yp7l.jpg

2ECUNQb.jpg

dB5BFob.jpg

the greater spotted tufted back Pepper :love:

:lol: yer, he's looking like a bit of a scruff-bun atm :oops:

so happy he's OK, I was really worried.

Have to say the local vet surgery is brilliant (Vale Vets, Cullompton).... and the cost wasn't too bad, less than expected considering at least 2 examinations, an x-ray, 30hrs hospitalisation & the meds - less than £200.

His eyes tell you all you need to know there. They're shiney and just so alive. Beautiful photos and clearly the best medicine for pepper is right there with you in your garden❤️❤️

so Pepper was the same yesterday morning - sat under the same shrub, definitely not right and able to be picked up.
I had previously prepared my front room as short-term housing for a possible new rabbit, so i brought him inside and put him in there with a camera set-up so i could monitor him.
after 3 or 4 hrs he gradually started to get a bit better and he seems ok this morning.... some poohs can be seen & he has been eating.

i've left the front room door open today & also the patio doors so he can make his way out to the garden but i will be monitoring him closely.

this & work issues is making me low-level depressed again.

edit:
i notice Pepper likes to eat clover. does anyone think he might be getting a gassy stomach - like sheep do when they eat too much clover?
https://smallfarms.cornell.edu/2010/10/03/pasture-bloat-in-sheep/
https://rabbits.life/can-rabbits-eat-clover/

Last edited:
so Pepper was the same yesterday morning - sat under the same shrub, definitely not right and able to be picked up.
I had previously prepared my front room as short-term housing for a possible new rabbit, so i brought him inside and put him in there with a camera set-up so i could monitor him.
after 3 or 4 hrs he gradually started to get a bit better and he seems ok this morning.... some poohs can be seen & he has been eating.

i've left the front room door open today & also the patio doors so he can make his way out to the garden but i will be monitoring him closely.

this & work issues is making me low-level depressed again.

edit:
i notice Pepper likes to eat clover. does anyone think he might be getting a gassy stomach - like sheep do when they eat too much clover?
https://smallfarms.cornell.edu/2010/10/03/pasture-bloat-in-sheep/
https://rabbits.life/can-rabbits-eat-clover/

I was wondering yesterday evening how Pepper was getting on. I'm sorry that he still seems not 100%.

I think that a lot of plant foods are able to create gas in rabbits and it depends on whether the rabbit is used to eating that food or eating it in large quantities. My rabbits love Clover, especially the flowers and I've never needed to restrict the amount. I remember when Tethra was much younger though he would gorge himself on freshly cut grass and make himself uncomfortable for a few hours afterwards, but it never lasted longer than a few hours.

I think, if I were you, I would do as you're doing and monitor him carefully. If it continues I think I would go back to the vet and maybe have some blood tests done.

It's a shame that it's happening now, as I don't think I would want to attempt to bond him whilst he's as he is.

Sending lots of hugs. Poorly rabbits can be horribly stressful.

ETA Also, just an outside chance, but make sure that everything that he is able to nibble in the garden is OK for rabbits.

Last edited:
How's Pepper been getting on?

Hi Omi,
he's been fine since Monday evening..... again, like nothing happened!
It's very puzzling. He was definitely poorly Monday morning, very quiet, not eating, drinking or pooping and able to be easily picked up with no struggling whatsoever. I gave him some Metacam and some Ranitidine (stomach med) late morning Monday & by late afternoon he looked slightly better then progressively better as the evening went on. I kept him in the front room overnight Tuesday and he seemed a lot better by Tues midday with poo's on the floor (normal looking), so i let him back out early afternoon & he's been perfectly normal since..... eating, hopping etc & just as annoying at bedtime as he's very adverse to being encouraged into the shed.
I'm not sure if he's eating summat he shouldn't but i've been keeping a close eye on him.... as usual, the only things he appears to eat are grass, clover, some apple nibbling & pellets.
the apples are what's fallen off the apple tree. i don't think they're proper ripe yet & prob a bit sour, but they're what all my previous rabbits ate & he doesn't eat much of them, just a nibble.
I've put a cctv camera in the shed so i can keep a close eye when he's inside. everything normal.

I'm so pleased that Pepper seems to have got over whatever it was. Hopefully, this can be put down to one of those annoying rabbity poorlinesses, which resolve themselves quickly without any clue of the cause.

Back