• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone have any ideas for cheap rabbit toys/hideaways/enrichment ??

Hi, I was wondering if people could share their ideas for cheap rabbit toys and enrichment. I especially like the look of natural set ups and toys ( like logs, soil digging trays and possible even small, bunny-safe trees) so would be interested if anyone had setups like that. So if anyone has any budget ideas for digging trays, chew toys, hideaways, stimulating toys or anything else... please share them below. Thanks so much! X

I just tried a new method this evening, I bought some cheap small paper bags off ebay (the kind you used to get sweets in), and hid food in one, it seemed to go down very well with my bunny, she was running around the entire house with it!

I give my bunny egg cartons and the boxes that my teabags come in, just put a few pellets or some fresh herbs in and close it and he is occupied for a little while. We get free local newspapers in the lobby of our building and if I remember to look and there is a fairly big stack I take a couple and just give them to my rabbit still folded up, he digs on them.

Paper bags are great for hiding food in too. I have a great excuse to go to the alcohol shop for wine now, they have the perfect size bags for rabbits to play with and they are thick enough paper that he has to work to rip them :lol:

If you can get hold of twigs or branches from a tree they make excellent chew toys, you may have some bunny safe wood trees in your garden or know a relative or friend that does. Willow and apple wood are popular with bunnies, but you need to be sure that the tree has not been treated with chemicals. There are lists on here I think of rabbit safe wood and non rabbit safe wood, obviously care should be taken when identifying trees as some species are toxic to bunnies.

Pine cones are great and you can find them just by going for a walk. I have a few and my bunny rolls them around or picks them up and throws them. You need to treat them in an oven before giving them to buns, there are loads of instructions online if you google it.

I used to have a cement pipe thing that my bunnies used as a tunnel. It was free, a man down the pub got it off a building site for me.

Not really sure how much of a budget idea this is! But instead of buying the expensive wooden toys you can get for rabbits, I just buy the materials and make my own. It’s so easy to thread wooden shapes onto string or tie wooden rings together. I just made some last week, and it cost $20 to make 6 toys that should last a while. I wouldn’t have got more than 2 ready made bunny toys for that.

And cardboard boxes!

the only suggestion i can offer is corn on the cob - just pull a small amount of leaf from one side to expose a bit of the corn - my buns used to spend ages trying to get at the corn, 'digging' at it with their paws. not sure if it was fun or very frustrating for them :lol:

toilet rolls stuffed with hay and herbs seem to be a favourite on forums, but I fear my buns are getting bored as they are trying to burrow out of their large run. so any cheap amusement ideas would also be appreciated, I'm going to start recycling plain boxes through their run, with treats and newspaper for them to tear, but apart from that I'm stumped

Back