• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Preparing for the worst

lucy24

Mama Doe
Honey has declined over the last few weeks. All seemed well but her eye has got enflamed again and she looks....old...her condition I feel has decreased. She is still eating and drinking but she doesn't move all day really. I put her outside yesterday and what did it for me is that I went to get her back inside and she gave no fight. Just sat and let me pick her up. She is usually feisty. I have a vet appointment later at 5:45. Feeling sad but feel it may be time to say goodbye.

I'm so sorry Lucy, lots of vibes for you & Honey. You & your vet will make the right decision for her I'm sure though its never an easy one :( xx

Honey has declined over the last few weeks. All seemed well but her eye has got enflamed again and she looks....old...her condition I feel has decreased. She is still eating and drinking but she doesn't move all day really. I put her outside yesterday and what did it for me is that I went to get her back inside and she gave no fight. Just sat and let me pick her up. She is usually feisty. I have a vet appointment later at 5:45. Feeling sad but feel it may be time to say goodbye.

I am really sorry to hear that Honey is now struggling :cry: I know all too well how hard it can be to make the 'it's time' call. But IMO there has to be more than just 'still eating and drinking' to make me feel confident that the Bunny still has a reasonable quality of life. You are the only person to be able to judge that, you know her far better than anyone else and I am certain that any decisions you make will be with Honey's best interests as a priority. Sending supportive hugs to you at what is obviously a very difficult time xx

Thinking of you today. It is so difficult when you have to decide when is the right time but you have Honey’s best interests at heart and will make the right decision for her. Big hugs. xx

I'm so sorry :(
To see a pet become a shadow of themselves is heartbreaking, but to be able to help them pass when they've had enough is the kindest and most loving thing you can do.
I hope your appointment today goes well, whatever the outcome I know you will do the best thing for Honey x

Tomorrow I say goodbye. Feeling very sad. We were going to try one last thing but today she has almost given me the look to say enough is enough. Never thought it would be this hard. But I know it's the best for her.

I’m so sorry :cry: I know it’s so hard :cry: but you are doing the best thing for her. Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

I am so so sorry for you both. Letting go is always the hardest decision even though sometimes it has to be for the best. You will both be in my thoughts. xx

I'm sorry ,it's never easy but your doing your best by her.Sending calming vibes for you and your friend Honey.x

Back