• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fighting help!!

wench

Young Bun
Hello, after my last rabbit Crystal died aged 11, I decided to adopt again. I have now had Bert and Ernie for a month. They are father and son, both neutered and about 4years old. They had been in the rescue about two months before I adopted them and before that they were rescued from a hoarder with lots of other animals. I let them out from their hutch/run every evening for a few hours and give them the run of the garden. Tonight when I did this Bert (the dad) started attacking Ernie. Lunging at him, chasing him and pulling out fur. I hoped initially it was just a tiff as this has never happened before. However, he was relentless with poor Ernie just trying to get away from him. I did try to clap my hands but this only made him stop for a second. I could see Ernie was panting and shaking so have had to separate them for this evening. I'm now concerned as to my next step.....do I try to rebond them in the morning? I have bonded rabbits before but wondered if anyone has any advice? I have checked both rabbits for injuries and it appears to just be fur that's missing. I didn't want to separate them but could see Ernie shaking so much I feared what would happen if I left them over night. I literally only have a set up for one pair of rabbits so fear I may have to re-home one if I can't get them back together 😢

Yes always been together as far as I know and were neutered in May at the rescue. I have their records

You will have to try to re-bond them but if they fight again I would be inclined to keep them separate.

I had a bonded female and male rabbits few years ago and out of the blue the female started attacking the male. It turned out it was because she was very ill with cancer....this is now at the back of my mind ��

It could be be one of them is off colour or it could be just the change in territory when you let them out. As Tonibun said if they fight again I would keep them separate. I’d try rebonding in a small neutral space where neither bun has been before. I used lots of tasty hay and herbs in a heap in the middle as a distraction when I’ve bonded.

I have reintroduced them and Bert has calmed down. His body language has returned to normal. However, as rabbits remember fights my biggest problem is that Ernie is now petrified of Bert. Anytime he goes near him he freaks out and runs away. I don't know what to do to make Ernie more relaxed?

Back