• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I get my rabbit a companion?

Woodybunny

New Kit
Hi everyone
We recently got a baby male Lionhead who is roughly 12 weeks old. We are thinking of getting him a companion but I’m not really sure where to start. As he is too young to neuter it’s not really an option to get a female so it will have to be another male. Or would it be better to wait until he is old enough to neuter then get a female rabbit? Or is two males a good pairing?
Thank you :)

Hi, welcome to the forum :wave: The easiest bonds are usually between a neutered buck and a spayed doe. It will only be a few weeks before your buck can be neutered and then it's advisable to wait at least 6 weeks for his hormones to subside before introducing a female. At that stage, you could speed up the process of getting him a friend by getting a doe, who has already been spayed from a rescue.

Two unneutered bucks will very likely fight and so getting a buck instead of a doe would not be any quicker.

Hi
Thanks so much for the reply. Our vet advised waiting until 6 months to neuter him so another 3 months ish. Will he still take to another rabbit If he is used to living alone for so long?

The usual advice is to neuter bucks as soon as their testicles descend, which is around the age of your buck. Some vets will prefer to wait a little longer and also the buck should be of a reasonable weight (generally over 1kg). Another 3 months should not mean that he is too used to living by himself. However, if he is sexually mature he will start to display hormonal behaviours, which is why it's considered best to neuter as soon as possible.

If I were you I would discuss the issue further with the vet and ask why the vet would prefer to wait.

Back