• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Silicone mat flooring

Mervinius

Mama Doe
We're forever trying to improve on Lord Archie and Pip's mansion.

The bottom of their crates is a metal tray, which we cover with fleece, so they don't slip.

It is always covered in tiny bits of hay and the odd wee mishap. Then it's a pain to clean as I get hay in the washing machine.

Archie is a bit of a chewer, so foam matting and carpet is out. Vinyl is also out because my OH thinks it's toxic with the plastic in it.

So I'm left with Rubber matting..got to be honest not keen on the smell. Bluergh

And we're now considering silicone matting. Has anyone tried it? I'm thinking of the pet food mats they sell in a lot of places.

Any thoughts?

We're forever trying to improve on Lord Archie and Pip's mansion.

The bottom of their crates is a metal tray, which we cover with fleece, so they don't slip.

It is always covered in tiny bits of hay and the odd wee mishap. Then it's a pain to clean as I get hay in the washing machine.

Archie is a bit of a chewer, so foam matting and carpet is out. Vinyl is also out because my OH thinks it's toxic with the plastic in it.

So I'm left with Rubber matting..got to be honest not keen on the smell. Bluergh

And we're now considering silicone matting. Has anyone tried it? I'm thinking of the pet food mats they sell in a lot of places.

Any thoughts?
Never have no sorry, but just wanted to say, we wash all bunny fabrics in horse wash bags? I think they're called, have a look on amazon, they're great, we shake the stuff out first but then put the fabrics with the hay on, in the bag, wash like normal then everything is contained in the bag and doesn't cause a problem in the washing machine, plus I find loads of the hay falls off and collects in the bag which we shake out afterwards :)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Mine love chewing anything rubbery and I now have some 'personalised' bath mats, so yours may well get chewed. They were cheap and obviously non-slip, so worth a try anyway. They don't have the rubbery smell and come in a range of colours. Horse matting may also work, but is heavy and could smell rubbery at first.

I second using a horse rug wash bag. Have fleece/blankets and fluffy dressing gowns for my outside buns and it really helps. Can get them on Ebay.

I’ve used rubber flooring in my shed for the goats, it doesn’t smell at all after a short while. Mine is actually rubber conveyor belt matting from a local place, cheaper than but most similar to horse stable matting. It’s indistructable and stood up to my bridge quad of determined chewers. You could ask for samples, if you leave them outside for a few days I think the smell would dissipate.

Back