• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Catio or run?

Buzzwizz619

Warren Scout
I have a patio area with a 3ft wall all around it, so technically I just need a little gate and they have a secure area to play in. However the local cats like to watch them 😤 so I pretty much have to stay outside with them, which isn't really practical when I have things to do and they refuse to come back inside.

My idea was to build a catio around the whole patio, but my patio is pretty big and because of how my house is it would need to be really tall to avoid blocking my kitchen window and have access to the steps to my back door.

Ideally I want to just be able open my back door and let them hop out and in as they wish as Charlie HATES being picked up.

The alternative is to just turn half the patio into a run but then they wouldn't have the freedom come in and out as they wish.

I'm torn because summer will be over soon so they probably won't even get much use out of it but to do a full catio with the wood and mesh is probably gonna be about £300-£400, I imagine we could make the run for about £100, probably less as the walls could account for 3 sides so really is only need one side of mesh and some form of cover, which I'm thinking just some form if strong netting, but what if they hate being confined to the run and not having free access back inside?

I don't know what's best 😫

Whatever option I go for its only for use when I'm home so a couple of hours in the evening and some time in the day time 3ish days a week.

Maybe I should do the run this year and the full catio next year? The run is easier to afford, the catio I would.l have to use my savings for, but I want the buns to be happy 😖

Personally I'd crack on and do the catio if that's the dream scenario, unless you'd be able to use the run parts as part of the catio next summer.
It's my opinion that a temporary solution is usually a waste of money and puts people off getting round to the end goal because they've got something that will do.

Also you mention that it's only for while you're home but you could always put a cat flap in for them?

I would def go for the catio option. You could just buy aviary panels so it wouldn’t be so much work.

I think if you can then do the catio. But I could be biased, because I want one! :lol: My reasoning would be, if you do the run then the catio further down the line, you’re just paying twice.

Unfortunately after doing some proper pricing up I've decides got for the run. That alone is going to cost £150 and as 3 sides will be brick that's only for 1 side and a roof!

Realistically to have the catio how I want it I think it would be more like £600 which I just can't justify at the moment.

The plan is how to have a 5m × 2m (ish) run with a door so they can go in themselves, a roof over one part of it as shelter and a lid so I can get in if needed. This way when I'm around they can still have free access In and out the house but can be secure in the run when I'm busy.

It should hopefully be 100% secure too so they can stay outside on mild days if I'm nipping out for a few hours.

Plus this way my dad can build it next weekend as it's far less work

Hopefully by next year I can save up for the catio without the guilt of spending my saving!

ah well, I'm sure the run will be much appreciated by the buns even if it isn't exactly what you'd like right now.
Looking forward to pics!

Back