• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Questions

Just to update... I ended up taking home an adorable 12 week old female lop from a local breeder and let her settle in for a week. Towards the end of the week, Bear snuck into the kitchen to say hello himself, and I ended the visit after about five minutes, but they both seemed completely fine. So against all advice, I decided to just go for it at 4 weeks post-neuter... (with the idea, I would just give them five minutes to say hello on neutral territory...)

They started out in the bath, and both of them completely ignored the other and decided to freak out about the slippery surface, so after ten minutes I felt too sorry for them and I just put them in the bathroom together, where they again were so incredibly passive and disinterested and hopped around quite happily. By the end of an hour Bear was flopped out and Baby was sleeping sat up next to him... but they weren't interacting very much. So... I thought, let's increase the territory, and I took them both into the kitchen, where they very happily hopped around and munched hay and started to play 'lick my head' in which no-one won, but also no-one cared. After three hours of this I dared wonder if they could actually be in the same cage... so I put them into her cage, more to force some interactions and so I could clean up their hay carnage. They were fine in her cage... so I steam cleaned his, and after about 7 hours took them both into his territory and put them in his cage. Again... absolutely fine. I then let them out (after deep cleaning and steaming the room) and whilst he did zoom at her a couple of times, the only thing he did upon arriving in front of her was to present his head. Which she ignored :lol:

So... we went from a 'quick 5 minute meet' to living together in the very same day. It's been three days now and they are absolutely fine, neither has shown any aggression whatsoever. I've seen Baby lick Bear's eye a couple of times but they've yet to establish a grooming dominance/affection for one another. Baby seems quite happy to be around him but Bear does occasionally look like I've made him a carer for a toddler and is a little confused what on earth is going on. But bunnies are together and happy! Currently zooming around the lounge and binkying to their little heart's content.

I'm just wondering who will crack first and lick the other's head... they don't feel 'bonded' yet but they feel completely safe to be together. Tbh... I felt safe leaving them after about 30 minutes, turns out I just have two incredibly sweet natured bunnies :love:

Excellent news :)

I've had a similar thing with mine - saw on webcam that new big boy had escaped only a few days post neuter. Ran home to find them snuggled up together under a table. Some buns are just made for each other :love:

Awww yes it seems to that way doesn't it! Your buns' story is so cute <3

I don't think mine are quite 'bonded' yet but they passively seem to enjoy the company!

Six months on... some unwanted humping has developed from Bear... I know it’s normal bunny behaviour but it just seems a bit strange after months of tranquility. Could anything have triggered it? Does this stuff usually calm down...?

It could mean a couple of things - longer days putting them in a "Spring Fever" mood, or maybe your girl is a little under the weather, we just don't know. It should settle down, you haven't made any changes in their environment?

It could mean a couple of things - longer days putting them in a "Spring Fever" mood, or maybe your girl is a little under the weather, we just don't know. It should settle down, you haven't made any changes in their environment?
Thanks for the reply. No changes at all. The only thing I wondered was if the stormy weather had spooked him a little. She's due to be spayed now, I also wondered if her 'maturity' had spurred it on... I wanted to send them to the vets together, but I'm a bit hesitant now he's all humpy...

Ah didn't know she isn't spayed. It will be the longer days which are making her more hormonal and he is doing what she wants him to do ie get her pregnant. But he can't! Yes definitely get her spayed and it is up to you whether he goes as well. I have never followed this personally but many do. You will need to feel whether it is right or not. Good luck with the spay. Have you got an experienced Vet?

Back