• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New foster bun not urinating u/d post 35 and question

weedug

Mama Doe
Sorry to only seem to come on here now when I have a problem. I took in a 4 year old unneutered male albino rabbit as a foster bun on Tuesday evening. He ate a few mouthfuls when he first came and had a good drink of water, but stopped eating a couple of hours later.

He passed a few normal poops overnight but still no urine yesterday so I took him to the vet. They said he seems to have a pain in his abdomen, and that his bladder felt full but not massive. Sent him back to me with metacam, ranitidine and emiprid and told me to syringe feed him.

He didn’t eat anything himself overnight, and still no urine this morning although he was drinking. The vet had wanted to see him back if no improvement. He has been there all day and is still only having a few nibbles of food if handfed, but still no urine. They done an X-ray this afternoon which they said didn’t really show anything.

Does anyone have any ideas? He’s still drinking himself but hasn’t urinated in the 48 hours I’ve had him. Could it just be stress? At this point I’m more worried about him not urinating than him not eating.

Last edited:
Sorry to only seem to come on here now when I have a problem. I took in a 4 year old unneutered male albino rabbit as a foster bun on Tuesday evening. He ate a few mouthfuls when he first came and had a good drink of water, but stopped eating a couple of hours later.

He passed a few normal poops overnight but still no urine yesterday so I took him to the vet. They said he seems to have a pain in his abdomen, and that his bladder felt full but not massive. Sent him back to me with metacam, ranitidine and emiprid and told me to syringe feed him.

He didn’t eat anything himself overnight, and still no urine this morning although he was drinking. The vet had wanted to see him back if no improvement. He has been there all day and is still only having a few nibbles of food if handfed, but still no urine. They done an X-ray this afternoon which they said didn’t really show anything.

Does anyone have any ideas? He’s still drinking himself but hasn’t urinated in the 48 hours I’ve had him. Could it just be stress? At this point I’m more worried about him not urinating than him not eating.
dear weedug,-rabbits attatch themselves[mentally]-to an owner..you say this is a foster bun,-in that lays the problem[non-secure]-the environment for him is important,must overcome the security issue...must offer grasses,some quality pellets,some treats-ie apple,banana,carrot-lots of water in a bowl..-,a nice cool hiding spot--oh yes,a poop box.-or-old towel,-.holding,petting-tummy rubs,etc.--dvm advice sounds good.--lets us know-when able,or pm me--sincerely james waller from accros the greatpond-usa

Are you using the same type of litter and tray that he’s used to? Sending lots of vibes for him xx

How's little bun doing this morning, I hope he's managed to pass some wee overnight. Sending him lots of vibes xx

Thank you for the replies and asking about Evan. There is still no wee, apart from the tiny dribble yesterday. I don’t think he had a litter tray at his last place.

He had a good syringe feed last night, but has only passed about 6 little poops overnight. He was lying in a pile of loose looking poop though, which I think might have been his special poops. Not great when he is outside. He has eaten a couple of dandelions this morning that I hand fed him, but won’t touch anything else.

I’ve not had a bunny not pee, but have a full bladder. When my buns stop eating, they stop peeing, but their bladder is empty or almost empty.

I’m waiting to hear back from the rescue to see what they want me to do with him today.

Poor Evan :cry: I don’t have experience of this so I can’t advise, I hope someone has some suggestions for you. Topping up the vibes for him.

The rescue want Evan to be seen at D1ck Vet, so he goes there later this morning. He is taking the syringe feeds well, until the stress gets too much for him. If he’s hungry though I don’t know why he won’t eat himself, and that doesn’t explain him not peeing.

Hopefully we’ll get some answers later.

The rescue want Evan to be seen at D1ck Vet, so he goes there later this morning. He is taking the syringe feeds well, until the stress gets too much for him. If he’s hungry though I don’t know why he won’t eat himself, and that doesn’t explain him not peeing.

Hopefully we’ll get some answers later.

Good luck at vets, hope they can get him sorted out. Let us know how he gets on, when you can.

The woman from the rescue collected Evan and took him to D1ck Vet. They have admitted him and will probably keep him there all weekend. They could feel a swelling inside him, but said it wasn’t his bladder unless it was very misplaced. They also thought he moved funny, which I feel bad is something I hadn’t noticed. Evan tended to stay lying in the one place most of the time though. The plan is to do an X-ray this afternoon and give him supportive care.

I really hope the swelling is nothing too sinister. He isn’t neutered so I am quite worried about a tumour.

He's in the right place.

Don't feel bad, fosters can behave quite oddly from the stress of the move, it wouldn't necessarily be obvious he was moving oddly especially as you don't have a baseline as you don't know the bunny yet. Vets are trained in this sort of stuff.

So sorry to be very late to this thread Weedug. Evan is certainly in the very best place to get all the diagnostics and treatment he may need. Sending milions of vibes for him xx

Thank you all for the messages. The rescue phoned with an update. It is Evan’s bladder that is swollen and there seems to be some sludge. They’re not desperately worried about it just now. They’ll continue treating for stasis and try to encourage him to urinate. If there’s no improvement they may do an ultrasound.

Since Evan didn’t urinate at all with me, does it sound more like something that he had before he came here? Am I right in thinking that the move here wouldn’t have been the sole cause?

Thank you all for the messages. The rescue phoned with an update. It is Evan’s bladder that is swollen and there seems to be some sludge. They’re not desperately worried about it just now. They’ll continue treating for stasis and try to encourage him to urinate. If there’s no improvement they may do an ultrasound.

Since Evan didn’t urinate at all with me, does it sound more like something that he had before he came here? Am I right in thinking that the move here wouldn’t have been the sole cause?

No, it couldn't be the sole cause. My best guess would be that the build up of sludge was a bit of a time bomb. All it would need would be for his eating to slow down and for him to become less hydrated for it to cause what is effectively a blockage as the sediment v urine has got to the point where his bladder can't function... without medical assistance. It's likely that stress of changing locations upset his equilibrium a little.

No, it couldn't be the sole cause. My best guess would be that the build up of sludge was a bit of a time bomb. All it would need would be for his eating to slow down and for him to become less hydrated for it to cause what is effectively a blockage as the sediment v urine has got to the point where his bladder can't function... without medical assistance. It's likely that stress of changing locations upset his equilibrium a little.

Thanks for replying. I’m convinced Evan was unwell before he came here since he’s been unwell ever since he came. I know it doesn’t make any difference to anything really.

Will he be more likely to bladder sludge in the future, assuming that is the only problem with his bladder?

Just a wee update. Evan is still at the vet. They were going to send him home today, but changed their mind last minute. His bladder is still swollen and giving him pain, so they are going to do an ultrasound and do urine tests. Not sure how much he’s urinating, but he is eating little bits by himself.

Just a wee update. Evan is still at the vet. They were going to send him home today, but changed their mind last minute. His bladder is still swollen and giving him pain, so they are going to do an ultrasound and do urine tests. Not sure how much he’s urinating, but he is eating little bits by himself.

Poor lad, I do hope that he will start to improve soon. I am assuming that they have ruled out any form of malignant disease ? Sending lots of vibes for him xx

Back