• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bean leaves - to feed, or not to feed?

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone feed the leaves from runner bean plants. My late bunny, Spenser, was a fussy eater but loved them. I've discovered there are mixed views on their suitability as a rabbit edible, but Spenser had rather delicate insides and seemed to thrive on them. My current rabbit, Bertie, is unlikely to refuse them if offered.

As far as I am aware, they are OK. I have tried my rabbits with them in the past though and they refused them. Spenser obviously had very sophisticated tastes :)

I feed bean leaves (runner and French), but never have many anyway. Pea plants are also OK - mine like the empty pea pods as well. As peas and beans are nitrogen fixers, it is better for the soil if you cut the stems off and leave the roots in the soil to rot down (or compost them).

Back