• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mousey has cloudy pupils

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Does this mean she is likely to have cataracts ? And if she has cataracts does that mean she can't see?

@ the vet for arthritis / med review in a week or 2 so will ask then but you know how we like to gather info before

TIA

I don't honestly know, if its cataracts it just might make things a bit blurry for her, but then I'm just guessing. Hope she's ok bless her x

Does this mean she is likely to have cataracts ? And if she has cataracts does that mean she can't see?

@ the vet for arthritis / med review in a week or 2 so will ask then but you know how we like to gather info before

TIA

Without being able to actually see what you are referring to it is hard to say for certain if she has Cataracts. Does Mousey have a history of 'active' EC ? Vision is not always completely impaired by cataracts, but it is usually a degenerative condition. IME Rabbits who slowly lose their eyesight due to cataracts adapt very well, rather than a Rabbit who may suddenly become blind. Sometimes cataracts can predispose the Rabbit to Glaucoma, so it is important that intraocular pressure is regularly monitored.

Some additional info here :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Disorder/Cat/Cat_en.htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5918121/

https://wagwalking.com/rabbit/condition/cloudy-eye

Graphic + absolutely awful 'background music :)roll:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY9BMSf61WA

Thanks for the well wishes petsmum & thanks for the info JJ - you're not wrong about the music! - whether you call call it background

She is indeed an EC positive bunny. She is coping well if its impacted on her eyesight. It has been very gradual. She wasn't feeling co-operative when I tried to take a photo.

3I6NsPxl.jpg

Most of my oldies last year had at least a blue haze in the centre area of their eye. Tink's iris was absolutely sold, pure dense white. The vets generally dimmed the lights and shone a torch in the eye. if they got no reflection at all from the back of the eye then they deemed them to be completely blind (such as with Tink) but if light reflected back at them then they said they would be able to see light and shade, shapes etc.

Most of my oldies last year had at least a blue haze in the centre area of their eye. Tink's iris was absolutely sold, pure dense white. The vets generally dimmed the lights and shone a torch in the eye. if they got no reflection at all from the back of the eye then they deemed them to be completely blind but if light reflected back at them then they said they would be able to see light and shade, shapes etc.

Blue haze is a good description. Thats good to know how vets check. Becky did that a few months ago so I assume she must have been happy enough. Thanks A

Tethra's been noted to have cataracts for around the last two years and he seems to cope perfectly well. As any sight loss has happened gradually, I'm sure he's not even aware if his vision is not as sharp as when he was younger.

What are your thoughts about her medication? Is she one week on one week off with Metacam?

Tethra's been noted to have cataracts for around the last two years and he seems to cope perfectly well. As any sight loss has happened gradually, I'm sure he's not even aware if his vision is not as sharp as when he was younger.

What are your thoughts about her medication? Is she one week on one week off with Metacam?

No - that didn't really work for her. She has 0.2 twice daily. Good to know tethra manages his ok

Sending vibes for beautiful Mousey-pie. Lillian sends her nose bumps and hope Mouse gets a few extra treats. :love:

I have always noticed Mouseypies blury pupils as Charlie had the same. John said was down to getting older (he was seven nearly eight at the time). I had a EC bun with cataracts and it wasn't in my experience a slow process of them going blurry. One day one eye was full blury and then a few weeks later the other which developed in to two full cataracts. He was only two and he said that EC postive bunnies go blind in their younger days. I wouldn't worry about Mousey girlie pie

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

She is truly beautiful :love: I’m sure she would/will cope if her sight is poor or deteriorates. They do seem to make use of their other senses a lot.

Back