• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Injection advice

Maddie220790

Young Bun
So tomorrow I am injecting Peanut with penicillin for the first time! And I am scared!

I have watched numerous videos and the vet told me how to do it... however when I mentioned to her about pulling the needle back to see if it was in a vessel she said that isn't necessary??

Also... just so I know what to expect... will my bunny jump when I pop it in? I've been pulling her scruff up today which she doesn't respond to... I just don't want her to dart when I put the needle in!

Thank you!

I have never pulled the needle back, although have seen advice to do this. It was not something that my vet told me to do.

I have never had a rabbit even flinch when I've injected. Make sure you have everything ready to hand before you start, to make the procedure as quick as possible.

Have you got pre-drawn syringes or a bottle, which you use to fill each syringe up? I've always filled them myself from a bottle.

Don't worry, I think most people are scared about giving injections until they've done it a few times.

They're pre drawn thankfully! I'm terrified of needles anyway so I'm hoping she takes it well! She seems loads happier tonight 😁
Thank you for all your advice over the last few days! It really is so much appreciated!

i think drawing back makes it more difficult . you want a nice firm action. Try to avoid any leakages but if they do happen make sure you clean up before she ingests any (I expect you know this already). My issues with injecting were not tenting enough & also it turns out Boo has ridiculously thick skin.

Rabbits IME would much prefer an injection than oral meds, they have never bothered at all. Good luck

I've done quite a few penicillin injections and they really don't seem bothered by them. I think it's worse for us than it is for them! She shouldn't react when you pop the needle through the skin, mine never have. One thing I will say is that you should try not press the plunger down too quickly. I made the mistake of doing that with my very first injection and my bunny leapt in the air! Slow and steady is the best way.

I've also never drawn back the needle and have not had any issues.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll soon get the hang of it.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Back