• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit 'sitting circle' in Scotland?

Nic.

Warren Scout
Hi everyone.

I've noticed that there's a bit of a lack of boarders in Scotland. I'm about to move to Glasgow and have been looking for a boarder I can use when I go away. I contacted the RWAF and they directed me to a website with a very short list which are all too far from me unfortunately, especially as I don't drive. I've seen one option in Glasgow (Furry friends hotel) but they're a bit expensive.

I'm wondering if there's anyone else with this problem in Scotland? If so, how do you feel about starting some sort of small 'rabbit sitting circle'? perhaps via Facebook. Anyone needing rabbit sitting/boarding in Scotland can post on the group and see if there's someone in your area who can look after them. Then you can return the favour when you can. It can either be purely voluntary or people can charge if you think that's a better idea? But either way, we'll know the rabbits are staying with bunny savvy people! What do you think? Would anyone make use of this if I set it up or is this a terrible idea/something that's already been done?

Thanks [emoji3526]
Nicole

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

There is a dreadful lack of decent rabbit boarding in the glasgow area especially for indoor rabbits, so much so that I’ve even considered setting one up myself (may still do this once I have more space available). For my recent holiday I had a pet sitter come to my home twice a day and also monitored them myself via their bunnycam as I felt they would be better in their own environment than any of the tiny spaces in boarding places around here. I don’t think I’d be able to commit to looking after other people’s rabbits though at the moment, I’m a bit out in the sticks and unless there was by some miracle someone very near me it would be difficult to fit in around work, family, my own rabbits and my foster rabbits. Good idea though if there are bunny owners living close to each other.

Where did you find your pet sitter? That sounds like a good idea, especially with the bunnycam, I don't think mine would particularly love going to a boarders to be honest. I have no idea how many bunny owners there are that would be interested at the moment, I'm finding it quite hard to find people to even ask. I did suggest setting one up to someone who was looking for a rabbit sitter on the 'Rabbits Scotland' facebook group but then I was kicked out the group so I think I must have unwittingly broken a rule!

I know a few people who have been kicked out of that group for no apparent reason. I tend to avoid Facebook rabbit groups anyway, posts always go the same way!

My pet sitter is a friend who has her own dog walking & pet sitting business. She doesn’t really do rabbits, think I was her first bunny job so she’s not rabbit savvy but with me watching them on camera to check they were eating, moving around etc and behaving as normal I was comfortable enough that they would be ok. They were absolutely fine! I was a bit worried about sending them to boarding as they can sometimes react badly to the smell of my foster rabbits, especially unneutered ones, and have even started fighting once so I wasn’t keen on them being in a hutch inside a shed stacked with other bunnies. The only boarding place I would use (Elmbank in Edinburgh) has now closed and I haven’t found a suitable alternative.

I know a few people who have been kicked out of that group for no apparent reason. I tend to avoid Facebook rabbit groups anyway, posts always go the same way!

My pet sitter is a friend who has her own dog walking & pet sitting business. She doesn’t really do rabbits, think I was her first bunny job so she’s not rabbit savvy but with me watching them on camera to check they were eating, moving around etc and behaving as normal I was comfortable enough that they would be ok. They were absolutely fine! I was a bit worried about sending them to boarding as they can sometimes react badly to the smell of my foster rabbits, especially unneutered ones, and have even started fighting once so I wasn’t keen on them being in a hutch inside a shed stacked with other bunnies. The only boarding place I would use (Elmbank in Edinburgh) has now closed and I haven’t found a suitable alternative.
Ah no, I'm sad to hear about Elmbank as that was one I was considering. There's still one I know of in Glasgow which is very expensive but I'll probably end up using them if I can't find a pet sitter. I may see if I can do what you did and find a pet sitter and keep an eye with a bunny camera.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I use pitlessie rabbit retreat and they’ve always been amazing with my bunnies medication and photos during their stay!

I'm in Scotland but since I have had a rabbit I have had no desire to go on holiday! If I need to be away overnight either my parents or a friend attend to my rabbit.

I think the problem with a rabbit sitting circle would be if the rabbit was unwell. A professional boarder would have a policy and specific vet the owner would know about, whereas less could be expected of a more casual pet sitting arrangement.

I'm in North East Scotland and have an elderly bunny of my own and I am giving palliative care to a bunny I am fostering from a local rescue, si I'm not going anywhere yet. There is a serious lack of good quality small animal boarding up here and I wish my circumstances were different as I would gladly re-open my little business, Hoppy Holidays (2002 - 2016), small animal boarding which was originally based in Worcestershire and then in late 2014 into Warwickshire.

Back