• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye damage?

Glingle

Warren Veteran
Herb was (the rescue thinks) born with a cataract in his left eye. I’m pretty sure he has no sight in it. Yesterday when grooming him, I noticed that the surface of his eyeball looked to have a “worn” dull area in the centre of it. He’s otherwise fine in himself.
Took him to the vet today who examined him. He put the drops in his eye to check for an ulcer, but no damage showed up. He confirmed that he could see the same mark that I could. Herb’s tear production is s normal and there’s no sign of any irritation or inflammation. He’s not pawing at his eye or blinking more.
The vet feels that it doesn’t need any treatment and that I should just keep an eye on it (“No pun intended”, said the vet).
Just wondered if anyone had had any experience of something similar. Herb is very happy that he doesn’t need eyedrops as he’s not really a hands on bunny, he tried to box the vet a few times, not that I blame him, when someone keeps poking around your eye.

Phillip has similar, we discovered earlier this year that he has a small cataract in the centre of his eye. Same as Herb, no treatment needed unless it starts to cause problems but so far, so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve not come across this, but I hope it doesn’t cause him any issues in future. :lol: at him trying to box the vet :lol:

Could it be EC related ?

DlpizQo.jpg

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3039911/

Sorry Jane, only just seen this! My brain is AWOL at the moment. I don’t think it’s EC related loooking at him. His damaged eye is slightly smaller than his other eye so it looks like it didn’t develop normally. Apart from looking like a scratch across his eye, nothing has changed. I’d try and get a photo but I need another pair of hands as he won’t co-operate!

Back