Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Growing plants for buns?

Alpha Buck

Default Growing plants for buns?

Sorry, and please move, if this is in the wrong place!

Iíd like to start growing more on my allotment than grass My buns absolutely love curly kale (which looks like itís easy to grow!), but I wondered what else I could try?

I donít eat many veggies, so no use growing for myself. Iíve plans for the allotment to be a flower garden, but would like to grow some Ďusefulí things for the rabbits as well. Any suggestions or tips?

Quote Originally Posted by capable View Post
    Sorry, and please move, if this is in the wrong place!

Iíd like to start growing more on my allotment than grass My buns absolutely love curly kale (which looks like itís easy to grow!), but I wondered what else I could try?

I donít eat many veggies, so no use growing for myself. Iíve plans for the allotment to be a flower garden, but would like to grow some Ďusefulí things for the rabbits as well. Any suggestions or tips?
    Ribwort! Mine go mad for it

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

parsley
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

if you're reading this it's too late

Wise Old Thumper

Curly Kale would be a very good staple food and if it's only for the rabbits, then you won't need that many plants. They would need to be sown around now. The seedlings could then be potted on and then planted out on the allotment in around 6 weeks time. These plants would produce food for the rabbits until about May next year.

Perpetual Spinach could be given the same treatment as the Kale, although once you get a hard frost you will probably lose it.

Any of the Cabbage family would be OK, but you would need to check each type for when it should be sown.

I would set aside a patch for lots of herbs, e.g. Parsley, Thyme, Oregano, Mint (plant in a pot and submerge in the ground to contain the roots or else it will spread), Sage, Lavender. Too late to sow these for this year, but you could probably still get some plants to put in. The Parsley would need to be replaced each year, but the others can be kept in the ground.

Have you thought about fruit bushes (if you eat fruit)? Things like Strawberries, Rasperries, Blackcurrants, where you get to eat the fruit and the rabbits can have the prunings each year. Maybe even a small Apple tree?

Alpha Buck

Ohh, thank you! Hadnít even thought about herbs, but itíd be nice to have a separate bed for them.

Iíd planned to keep a small bed just for kale Iíll have to work out how many plants and how much space thatíd take up. An apple tree would be nice too, Iíll have to check our contract and see if weíre allowed trees.

Iíd thought about salad leaves too, but wasnít sure if theyíd be too much like hard work/which ones would be safe for rabbits?

Wise Old Thumper

Salad leaves might be a lot of trouble and you might find that slugs are a problem. You could give them a try though. Rocket might be a good option or one of the Mustards. Either would be OK for the rabbits too.

If you joinin on the thread in general chat gardening 2019 quite a few members are growing things for their buns as well as themselves

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Wise Old Thumper

Celery! I used to just grow them from the end of bunches I bought from the shop, I never managed to grow them very big though as my buns loved the leafy bits and kept eating them right down

We grow yarrow, lemon balm, ribwort, strawberry leafs, parsley, golden rod and marrow in planters for the bunnies

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Bam & Charlie
    Humanisation to the nation ~ One Love ~ Tipper Tapper Toby

Quote Originally Posted by sillyrabbit View Post
    Celery! I used to just grow them from the end of bunches I bought from the shop, I never managed to grow them very big though as my buns loved the leafy bits and kept eating them right down
    good idea! I will buy some & see if Pepper likes it.... he doesn't seem to like much except grass.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

if you're reading this it's too late