• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Peanut update :(

Please keep us updated!
I also want to say thank you to Omi who seems to look after all the nervous new rabbit owners of the forum ... she also gave me the advice to get my more affected buck Onana eating by crunching his favourite herbs - mint and basil - so the smell would lead him into temptation. And she had the idea to put the painkiller that Onana wouldn't take on a piece of mashed up banana, which worked wonders.

Please keep us updated!
I also want to say thank you to Omi who seems to look after all the nervous new rabbit owners of the forum ... she also gave me the advice to get my more affected buck Onana eating by crunching his favourite herbs - mint and basil - so the smell would lead him into temptation. And she had the idea to put the painkiller that Onana wouldn't take on a piece of mashed up banana, which worked wonders.

Thank you :oops: Your comments are very much appreciated. However, there are several of us who try to provide reassurance, as we know it's horrid to be anxious.

UPDATE: Peanut is awake and hopping but not eating yet. All the ovary and lump was removed :)
The main concern was oddly her teeth! She had big abscesses on one side of her face and had to have a tooth removed and regular check ups. This surprised and annoyed me because a different vet checked them a few weeks ago and said there were no concerns -_- thankfully Faye at Toll Barn is amazing! Hopefully Peanut will be home tomorrow! But for now there is a big empty space which our kitty keeps going and checking because she misses her friend :(

UPDATE: Peanut is awake and hopping but not eating yet. All the ovary and lump was removed :)
The main concern was oddly her teeth! She had big abscesses on one side of her face and had to have a tooth removed and regular check ups. This surprised and annoyed me because a different vet checked them a few weeks ago and said there were no concerns -_- thankfully Faye at Toll Barn is amazing! Hopefully Peanut will be home tomorrow! But for now there is a big empty space which our kitty keeps going and checking because she misses her friend :(

I'm so glad she's up and hopping around :)

Hopefully her mouth will heal now it's been dealt with, sending vibes for her x

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Poor Peanut :( I'm not surprised she doesn't feel up to eating yet. It's a relief that she's staying in for the night as they can give her all her meds and also syringe-feed her. I guess the dental problem was the cause of her not eating a little while ago.

You must be feeling so pleased that you changed vets and also that you opted to have her spayed. Hopefully she'll now go on to make a full recovery.

I hope Peanut has a good night and you get a positive update in the morning.

Thank you so much! I am very relieved this vet spotted it and dealt with it and hopefully she will go on to live for a good many years 😊
I bet that was the cause of the stasis! So gutted they didn't notice it previously 😞
Cannot wait to get the little fluff back tomorrow!

She is home!!! 😁😁 she has painkillers, meds to get her gut moving and penicillin for her teeth. Apparently she wouldn't let the vets go past without stroking her! Hehe! Now having a HUUUGE nap.

One question I do have if anyone could answer please.... to get her out of her cage to give her meds (if she doesn't jump of her own accord).. what is the best way of picking her up that won't hurt her stitches??

She is home!!! 😁😁 she has painkillers, meds to get her gut moving and penicillin for her teeth. Apparently she wouldn't let the vets go past without stroking her! Hehe! Now having a HUUUGE nap.

One question I do have if anyone could answer please.... to get her out of her cage to give her meds (if she doesn't jump of her own accord).. what is the best way of picking her up that won't hurt her stitches??

Really pleased that she's home :D Is she eating and drinking by herself?

Firstly can I query the Penicillin? Is this injectable Penicillin? Rabbits can't have oral Penicillin, so just wanted to check as I presume the pain relief and gut meds are oral.

I think you'll find that she will come out of her cage by herself. But if she doesn't I would pick her up in the normal way i.e. both hands firstly round her middle and then quickly transferring one hand to under her bum. Just make sure that you don't actually put any pressure on the wound. Alternatively, if she comes out herself, you could try medicating her when she is on the floor (so no picking up). Encourage her to go between your knees, while you're kneeling on the floor and put her facing forward. I try to give all meds this way.

I'm pleased Peanut is home. If possible I'd try tempting her out with herbs / other tasty treats & if not, pick her up as Omi described.

Glad to hear Peanut is home and sending vibes for a swift recovery!

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Back