• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on gut stasis

Graciee

Staff member
So I'm such an idiot! Apricot and Penelope ate a load of cardboard, they have this hay box which they love they normally don't eat the box.. Just the the inside stuff.. But woke up this morning and they've eaten a load of the box [emoji849] won't be buying another of those for them...

Anyway Penelope seems okay she's eating hay, pellets, treats, vegs, herbs etc

Apricot would only eat veg and herbs earlier, refused pellets (how to know somethings really wrong.. [emoji51]) but she's been nibbling kale, ribwort, parsley, basil and some broccoli plants.. She's just pooped 6 smaller darker poops.. She doesn't seem in any discomfort tbh and she's been hoping around and she took kale out of Penelope mouth which was a good sign..

Obviously if she poops more and starts eating hay again.. I'm hoping we won't have to go to the vets.. But we have a vet appointment for this evening at the vets for their vacations... I'm thinking of maybe not getting them vaccinated today now? Obviously I can take her along and we can get pain meds, and Emeprid or whatever (not rabbit savvy vets but they can do this) but I was wondering what people thought about maybe not vaccinating today now? Gunna keep the vet appointment either way.

Apricot has been going off certain treats the last week too though.. Idk if that's connected, hoping it's just me messing up with cardboard..

Anyway I'd appreciate any advice.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

So I'm such an idiot! Apricot and Penelope ate a load of cardboard, they have this hay box which they love they normally don't eat the box.. Just the the inside stuff.. But woke up this morning and they've eaten a load of the box [emoji849] won't be buying another of those for them...

Anyway Penelope seems okay she's eating hay, pellets, treats, vegs, herbs etc

Apricot would only eat veg and herbs earlier, refused pellets (how to know somethings really wrong.. [emoji51]) but she's been nibbling kale, ribwort, parsley, basil and some broccoli plants.. She's just pooped 6 smaller darker poops.. She doesn't seem in any discomfort tbh and she's been hoping around and she took kale out of Penelope mouth which was a good sign..

Obviously if she poops more and starts eating hay again.. I'm hoping we won't have to go to the vets.. But we have a vet appointment for this evening at the vets for their vacations... I'm thinking of maybe not getting them vaccinated today now? Obviously I can take her along and we can get pain meds, and Emeprid or whatever (not rabbit savvy vets but they can do this) but I was wondering what people thought about maybe not vaccinating today now? Gunna keep the vet appointment either way.

Apricot has been going off certain treats the last week too though.. Idk if that's connected, hoping it's just me messing up with cardboard..

Anyway I'd appreciate any advice.

Personally I'd postpone the vaccination until Apricot is 100% back to normal. The protection any vaccination gives does not just stop bang on the Booster due date and if she's a bit 'off' health wise today vaccinating may exacerbate things. However, your Vet would be the best one to advise you after examining Apricot xx

Personally I'd postpone the vaccination until Apricot is 100% back to normal. The protection any vaccination gives does not just stop bang on the Booster due date and if she's a bit 'off' health wise today vaccinating may exacerbate things. However, your Vet would be the best one to advise you after examining Apricot xx

Yea I'm thinking that, may just take her along to get some gut meds etc, although I don't think we are at the point where we need them, she's doing okay, and is popping and eating some things, sadly not hay though.

The booster was due tomorrow, for novibac, is there any guidance on how long it lasts? Like if it was done the end of the week would that be okay cover wise?

Penelope could probably have hers today still though :) xx

I agree. I would let her digestive system get back to normal first.

Yea I'm thinking that, may just take her along to get some gut meds etc, although I don't think we are at the point where we need them, she's doing okay, and is popping and eating some things, sadly not hay though.

The booster was due tomorrow, for novibac, is there any guidance on how long it lasts? Like if it was done the end of the week would that be okay cover wise?

Penelope could probably have hers today still though :) xx

Yep, I would be fine about leaving it for a week or so.

I would perhaps run this past the vet if you keep your appointment. It may be beneficial to get meds - but the vet can first listen to Apricot's tummy and see if there's any movement which you can't do. The vet can then decide the best course of action from there.
Sending vibes for Apricot. x

I would perhaps run this past the vet if you keep your appointment. It may be beneficial to get meds - but the vet can first listen to Apricot's tummy and see if there's any movement which you can't do. The vet can then decide the best course of action from there.
Sending vibes for Apricot. x
Thanks Craig :)

Sorry I should've been clear they're both going to the vets with my boyfriend later (I'd really like to go but I'm dying apparently from some kind of super flu [emoji849][emoji38]) Penelope to get her vaccination and Apricot to get looked at, only issue is it's not a rabbit savvy vets, so I don't really trust their judgement tbh... but they can do gut meds and painkillers (altho I'm sure the dose for this will be too little) there so should be okay, I can always take Apricot to my normal vets hopefully tomorrow unfortunately my exotic vet doesn't work everyday now so it's tricky sometimes as they're the only exotic vet at the practice.

I just wanted to make sure the vaccination was probably not the best idea :)

Can make them very drowsy!
I know :( I hate the stuff, my boyfriend took them and I said make sure no Vetergesic [emoji51]

He messaged me saying it's fine they're giving morphine.. And yea.. Here we are [emoji849][emoji38]

She's also got cisapride which is fine, and they gave her a metacam injection, also fine.

The metacam they've dispensed is the cat and guinea pig one...? [emoji38] And its done on weight... And it's just once a day which I'm not okay with.. So next dose is tomorrow evening... Eh we'll see..

I wish she hadn't been given the Vetergesic, she's literally happily eating veggies.. We weren't at that point yet I don't think... Ah well

Blood glucose level was 6.9

Gunna be a long night I think :( altho she's come in and started eating more fresh ribwort straight away bless her

I know :( I hate the stuff, my boyfriend took them and I said make sure no Vetergesic [emoji51]

He messaged me saying it's fine they're giving morphine.. And yea.. Here we are [emoji849][emoji38]

She's also got cisapride which is fine, and they gave her a metacam injection, also fine.

The metacam they've dispensed is the cat and guinea pig one...? [emoji38] And its done on weight... And it's just once a day which I'm not okay with.. So next dose is tomorrow evening... Eh we'll see..

I wish she hadn't been given the Vetergesic, she's literally happily eating veggies.. We weren't at that point yet I don't think... Ah well

Blood glucose level was 6.9

Gunna be a long night I think :( altho she's come in and started eating more fresh ribwort straight away bless her

I think she would have started to have the drowsy effects by now, so lets hope she won't. She shouldn't be in any pain anyway, with Metacam as well :) Great that she's eating Plantain and veggies.

I hope you manage to get some rest and that you feel better soon.

I think she would have started to have the drowsy effects by now, so lets hope she won't. She shouldn't be in any pain anyway, with Metacam as well :) Great that she's eating Plantain and veggies.

I hope you manage to get some rest and that you feel better soon.
Honestly praying she won't, my boyfriend feels so bad, I said not to but I think he's having flash backs to Fleur :( same thing happened I wasn't there, he was, she was given that then 12 hours later she was gone.. I have said its totally different circumstances though like Fleur had unexplained stasis for a week before.. But I know he's really beating himself up about it :(

He just went to Co op and tescos and bought all the veggies and herbs possible, she's eating those now, so hopefully it'll be okay - wish I had more fresh ribwort though she loves it and my plants are nearly bald :(

Poor Apricot, I hope she's firing on all cylinders again soon.

I'm surprised they wanted to give her the vetergesic given that she is still eating. To me it sounded as though she just needed a bit of help to stop her gut slowing down further. Having said that, I have found that a few vets seem to be a bit trigger happy with the vetergesic and I've had to dive in front of the syringe a few times! I hope it doesn't affect her too much and she carries on eating.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Poor Apricot, I hope she's firing on all cylinders again soon.

I'm surprised they wanted to give her the vetergesic given that she is still eating. To me it sounded as though she just needed a bit of help to stop her gut slowing down further. Having said that, I have found that a few vets seem to be a bit trigger happy with the vetergesic and I've had to dive in front of the syringe a few times! I hope it doesn't affect her too much and she carries on eating.

Hahah that made me laugh [emoji38][emoji38]

Exactly my thoughts! I said this to my boyfriend - don't let them give Vetergesic she really doesn't need it... But because they said they were giving her morphine and metacam he was like ah that's fine if I'd been there I'd have said definitely not Vetergesic right? Then been like nooooooo! [emoji38] I think it's definitely good it's an option, but if a bun is eating some stuff and seems okay ish... Knocking them out for 8 hours so they can't eat coz they're so sleepy seems stupid to me [emoji38]

Hahah that made me laugh [emoji38][emoji38]

Exactly my thoughts! I said this to my boyfriend - don't let them give Vetergesic she really doesn't need it... But because they said they were giving her morphine and metacam he was like ah that's fine if I'd been there I'd have said definitely not Vetergesic right? Then been like nooooooo! [emoji38] I think it's definitely good it's an option, but if a bun is eating some stuff and seems okay ish... Knocking them out for 8 hours so they can't eat coz they're so sleepy seems stupid to me [emoji38]

Yeah, that's how I view it. A very dozy bun is not going to want to eat, which surely can't be a good thing if their gut has started to slow down. Plus I would be very nervous about syringe feeding a drowsy bun because there might be an increased risk of aspiration.

I hope you're able to get a decent night's sleep and you and Apricot will both be feeling better by the morning.

Yeah, that's how I view it. A very dozy bun is not going to want to eat, which surely can't be a good thing if their gut has started to slow down. Plus I would be very nervous about syringe feeding a drowsy bun because there might be an increased risk of aspiration.

I hope you're able to get a decent night's sleep and you and Apricot will both be feeling better by the morning.

I didn't even think about syringe feeding.. Yikes Idk where my heads at...

She is now very sleepy and won't eat anything :( perhaps I should get the critical care out :( but yea it's a worry isn't it

Back