• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on gut stasis

I’m glad she is still eating, and the poops are getting bigger. They are a worry aren’t they!

Those metacam dosages are very different!
Yea ikr!

You reckon there's any danger for Penelope with the sheer amount of veg she's eating? Like it's ungodly amount but I don't wanna separate them.. But she's hoovering it all up too, she's eating hay too but obviously less.. Idk if there's something I should be doing :(

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

If it’s veg they are used to and tolerate well I don’t think I’d worry too much as a short term thing.

My rabbits eat an enormous amount of veg and forage in the Summer months, which I'm sure does mean that they eat less hay. I think the key thing is if they are used to it, as Zoobec says.

If it’s veg they are used to and tolerate well I don’t think I’d worry too much as a short term thing.
My rabbits eat an enormous amount of veg and forage in the Summer months, which I'm sure does mean that they eat less hay. I think the key thing is if they are used to it, as Zoobec says.
See it's all veg they've had before, but some they've not had for months.. But it's all she'll eat.. So Idk.. Penelope seems to be loving it [emoji849][emoji38] just hope it doesn't cause any issues.. The orchard hay is here, hoping new hay will tempt Apricot [emoji38] probably a long shot.

She's much more herself now, still eating veg, but eating more hay, and dandelion roots again, still won't eat pellets or a treat.. More poops that are getting more normal sized tbh they're all dark for them both because of the amount of veg they've consumed [emoji38] so I can't see much difference..

I wouldn't say she's 100% though still so Idk what to do about the vaccination, she's got a vet appointment today with my exotic vet, so could have it done.. But Idk.. Obviously I'll discuss with my vet, but I can't decide what I think [emoji51][emoji38]

I'm really pleased Apricot is doing so much better now [emoji3]

Hopefully your vet will be able to advise on what to do about the vaccine. If I were in your shoes, though, I think I would err on the side of caution and wait another few days until she is 100% again. She should still have immunity from the previous vaccine. If you're anything like me and have the vaccine done now, you might spend the next year worrying whether the vaccine has "taken" properly and if she is fully covered.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I'm really pleased Apricot is doing so much better now [emoji3]

Hopefully your vet will be able to advise on what to do about the vaccine. If I were in your shoes, though, I think I would err on the side of caution and wait another few days until she is 100% again. She should still have immunity from the previous vaccine. If you're anything like me and have the vaccine done now, you might spend the next year worrying whether the vaccine has "taken" properly and if she is fully covered.

It's like we are the same person! [emoji38]

Yeaaaa it's a horrible time for this to happen, I've noticed Clementine has some fur in her poops too... Must be the time of year [emoji849]

I'll talk to the vet later, I think ima ask her to xray Apricot too just to make sure everything looks okay and obviously have a good feel etc also super paranoid about mosquitos [emoji51] can't win really!

Absolute disaster at the vets.. [emoji38]

Apricot is fine, xray showed some gas in the cecum, but said that's normal, we've got more loxicom because the cat metacam was a tiny dose and a tiny bottle so was gunna run out quick once we started giving her the right amount.. [emoji38] Didn't vaccinate, she's booked in next week to have it if she's well enough, vet really wanted her to be 100% first.

When we opened the carrier they were both covered in orange stains [emoji849] so Penelope had peed on the side of Apricot in the carrier on route, then when they'd been digging hay about they manage to cover themselves in the pee and being white rabbits were completely stained all over [emoji38] had to get them out, so I'm covered in their pee, then vet was, the table... It was ridiculous and the pee was such a vivid orange colour [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] even my bag has rabbit pee on it [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24] Idk how long it'll take for them to go back to being white again... [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Apricot is fine, xray showed some gas in the cecum, but said that's normal, we've got more loxicom because the cat metacam was a tiny dose and a tiny bottle so was gunna run out quick once we started giving her the right amount.. [emoji38] Didn't vaccinate, she's booked in next week to have it if she's well enough, vet really wanted her to be 100% first.

When we opened the carrier they were both covered in orange stains [emoji849] so Penelope had peed on the side of Apricot in the carrier on route, then when they'd been digging hay about they manage to cover themselves in the pee and being white rabbits were completely stained all over [emoji38] had to get them out, so I'm covered in their pee, then vet was, the table... It was ridiculous and the pee was such a vivid orange colour [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] even my bag has rabbit pee on it [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24] Idk how long it'll take for them to go back to being white again... [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

sounds like an average day at our house. Boo manages to get herself cleaned up with 24 hours or so, then Joey does it again

Oh gosh re the wee :( I expect the vet is used to that sort of thing though and worse.

I think it's sensible to defer the vaccination to next week. Good decision :thumb:

sounds like an average day at our house. Boo manages to get herself cleaned up with 24 hours or so, then Joey does it again

Ah that's not too bad then! Honestly they're smothered [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] is joey just peeing on her then? Not spraying? I had a female rabbit that use to spray [emoji38]

Oh gosh re the wee :( I expect the vet is used to that sort of thing though and worse.

I think it's sensible to defer the vaccination to next week. Good decision :thumb:

Yea I think so :)

Vet thought it was really funny [emoji38] my boyfriend was laughing on the way home, he said - these two will never understand how much you love them, I can't imagine anything getting on one of your bags and you being this okay about it [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Oh dear, I bet you were mortified!

My bunnies have three litter trays, including one little one I put in the bunny bus. They don't really toilet in that one, just eat the hay so I don't bother putting any litter in it, just the hay. One day one of them did a rare wee in it. Later that night, Fudgie (for reasons best known to herself!) decided to roll around in that litter tray. She's predominantly white as well but was bright orange when she came out!

I sponged her down as best I could but she still looked like a furry Oompah Loompah. I thought I was going to have to wait for it to come out in a moult. To my amazement, the next morning she was sparkling white again! She must have given herself a thorough clean up overnight. So your girls should be lemon fresh again pretty quickly. [emoji3]

But, most importantly, I'm glad the vet is pleased with Apricot's progress and hopefully she can be vaccinated next week to out your mind at rest.

Oh dear, I bet you were mortified!

My bunnies have three litter trays, including one little one I put in the bunny bus. They don't really toilet in that one, just eat the hay so I don't bother putting any litter in it, just the hay. One day one of them did a rare wee in it. Later that night, Fudgie (for reasons best known to herself!) decided to roll around in that litter tray. She's predominantly white as well but was bright orange when she came out!

I sponged her down as best I could but she still looked like a furry Oompah Loompah. I thought I was going to have to wait for it to come out in a moult. To my amazement, the next morning she was sparkling white again! She must have given herself a thorough clean up overnight. So your girls should be lemon fresh again pretty quickly. [emoji3]

But, most importantly, I'm glad the vet is pleased with Apricot's progress and hopefully she can be vaccinated next week to out your mind at rest.

Yea pretty much [emoji38][emoji38]

Oh my hahaha it looks so dramatic doesn't it! When my vet carried Apricot to go get the xray she must have passed a nurse in the hall and I heard her say "it's okay! It's just pee!" and the nurse went oh wow okay and laughed [emoji38][emoji38] it really did almost look like blood was everywhere, my vet was like what have you been eating! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Yea honestly just want her better and vaccinated :D

She's been eating more hay this evening :)

Oh dear :shock::lol: at the pee :lol: I’m glad the vet was satisfied with progress, I hope she is fully better soon :love:

The pee story is epic! Continuing recovery (and cleansing) vibes being sent!
Oh dear :shock:[emoji38] at the pee [emoji38] I’m glad the vet was satisfied with progress, I hope she is fully better soon :love:
Thanks both [emoji7]

Honestly it was such a mess [emoji38][emoji38] they're still orange now too [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

Apricot has been nomming more hay, I'd say her poops still aren't 100% normal sized yet but getting there :) I reckon you're right too Zoobec about what you said posts ago, about she ate the cardboard because of the fur. They always have cardboard and they nibble here and there but no issues, whereas there's been so much fur in her poops. And she ate like the whole thing overnight [emoji849] I think ima not do cardboard again though in the future, not worth the risk!

Forgot to mention my vet said "at least Apricots name makes sense" [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Hi Graciee,

Coincidentally, as mentioned on another thread, I was up until 1am on Wednesday with my Gracie bun this week medicating and syringe feeding to get her to eat. She has been moulting heavily and has passed very large fur poos, the same day she had chewed the rubber matting floor like crazy - and I wasn't sure if it was stress, floor or moulting but sounds very similar,

She is eating and pooing normally now but I think could easily slip back, so am keeping up meds for now,

I hope Apricot continues to improve

Nickix

Hi Graciee,

Coincidentally, as mentioned on another thread, I was up until 1am on Wednesday with my Gracie bun this week medicating and syringe feeding to get her to eat. She has been moulting heavily and has passed very large fur poos, the same day she had chewed the rubber matting floor like crazy - and I wasn't sure if it was stress, floor or moulting but sounds very similar,

She is eating and pooing normally now but I think could easily slip back, so am keeping up meds for now,

I hope Apricot continues to improve

Nickix

Oh I missed this! Sorry :)

Great name btw [emoji14]

Sorry she's been unwell, honestly it sounds so similar to Apricot, I was just about to update and say the amount of poop she's producing is normal now but they're still not their normal size! Idk what to do about this really, I'm only giving the cisapride 2x a day now as opposed to 3, along with loxicom 2x a day.. I'm meant to be getting her vaccinated this week but Idk :( she seems fine in herself now and is eating hay etc it's just the size of them, and my vets off this week so I really don't know what to do :(

Idk if anyone has any opinions on this?

Back