• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded rabbit now alone after death - shy rabbit

My Mini Lop bunny Finn passed away this week, which has been very upsetting for me. However, my girly bun Myrtle who had been bonded with Finn is incredibly shy and not very sociable around people at all. She is friendly but very timid. She has become a little more active since his passing, but not eating as much as I would like. She seems ok in herself and running around ok, and is due to get checked by her vet. However I want to try and work on her confidence...especially around me. I feel that she doesn't like me half the time. If I go near her or near her pen, she will move to the other side. Sometimes walking rather than hopping. Or she will thump after i have held her.

She has always been a very nervous bunny so this is not new behavior. However, now its only me and her I want to try and work on her behavior the best I can. I will get her a new little friend at some point, but I need to grieve first as I was bonded well to Finn and quite frankly heartbroken. So until then, it will just be myself and Myrtle.
Are there any good methods on gaining a very shy rabbits trust? I do lay on the floor when she is out and about but she hardly comes over and if you move shes off again. It is like treading on eggshells sometimes.

I am so sorry you have lost Finn. I have many girls and treating them like you would your own Daughter seems to work really well. I am always very protective over the girls and they seem to like this, so maybe trying something like this will help. Now she is on her own she will probably look more to you as someone to interact with.

I am also very sorry that you have lost Finn :cry: It has been obvious in your previous posts about him how special he was to you and I'm sure you will miss him very much.

I think as far as Myrtle is concerned just be gentle and patient. She is probably also feeling a bit insecure after the loss of Finn, but I think in time she will improve.

I am very sorry that you lost Finn. It is always hard losing such a loved pet, and even harder when they are part of a bond. At the same time, Myrtle will also be grieving as you are, but Myrtle won't really understand what has happened and so she has this to deal with. It might explain in some way, her protective behavior.
She will require as much love and support as you can give her, and even though she is shying away from it, your interactions will help her enormously. You are right that getting a new companion at some point is a positive step and you are also very wise to allow yourself that time to grieve also. You must be guided by what your heart says and when that is ready, then you can consider another bun for Myrtle.
Try and spend time with Myrtle and even if she doesn't want to be held, just being there or around her will help.
Hugs to you. x

I am very sorry that you lost Finn. It is always hard losing such a loved pet, and even harder when they are part of a bond. At the same time, Myrtle will also be grieving as you are, but Myrtle won't really understand what has happened and so she has this to deal with. It might explain in some way, her protective behavior.
She will require as much love and support as you can give her, and even though she is shying away from it, your interactions will help her enormously. You are right that getting a new companion at some point is a positive step and you are also very wise to allow yourself that time to grieve also. You must be guided by what your heart says and when that is ready, then you can consider another bun for Myrtle.
Try and spend time with Myrtle and even if she doesn't want to be held, just being there or around her will help.
Hugs to you. x

Thank you Craig, she has always been a tough nut to crack and we never had the strongest bond. Finn was always the little peacemaker - whereas myself and Myrtle are like mother and daughter. Now here we are, sitting on the opposite sides of the living room looking at one another. I am trying with her. I often lay on the floor with her and give her cuddles. I am thinking of getting some fun bunny games to play with her, maybe get some treats and feed her by hand. She has always been timid, to the extreme. Taking her to boarding is always a risky job. Tomorrow will have been a week since we both saw Finn before I rushed him to the vet where he passed away from an enlarged gut caused by an obstruction after surgery. I can see she is showing signs of loneliness.

I am so sorry you have lost Finn. I have many girls and treating them like you would your own Daughter seems to work really well. I am always very protective over the girls and they seem to like this, so maybe trying something like this will help. Now she is on her own she will probably look more to you as someone to interact with.

Thanks, Tonibun

I am new to girly buns as I have always had solo males. When you say you are proactive with your girls, what things are you doing? I will try it with Myrtle. I am thinking of getting some games for bunnies to play with her. At the moment she is grieving and just wants to be on her own. Her eating has slowed down so I am just doing all I can to keep her comfortable.

So sorry that you lost your beloved bun, Finn. As others have said, take it easy and gently with Mrytle, I'm sure she will find comfort with you just being there. Hand feeding treats is a good start, just let her come to you in her own time, or just sit quietly with her. When the time is right for both you, a little friend would be lovely for her.

Sorry you lost Finn, it's always so difficult when you're left with a solo bun. I've been left in a similar position recently and now have a single female who would probably be quite happy to never see me again! I just spend time with her, she doesn't want to be held or stroked that much, although sometimes she likes a long stroke but not very often. I just sit in the same room as her and leave the ball in her court. You could try having some food near you to tempt her over so she realises you're not a big scary person. I've also bought some toys to keep Lilac busy when I'm at work, and I hide her food so she has to work for it. Hope your girly will start to come round soon.

Back