• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best fibre based pellets

WelshBunny

Young Bun
I posted in behaviour but this has been on my mind too as my "next thing"!

I have horses too and have worked at switching them from horse junk food (cereal mixes, oddly similar) to things like grass nuts and more fibre based food. My rabbit came with a bag of Chudley's rabbit muesli, which he loves and picks through...but is rabbit junk food too. As I was having him vaccinated and neutered, I wanted to keep him on the same food so he would be less likely to go off it as he changed home, met the vet and the like. However, I will need to buy a bag of healthier food soon so I can start slowly weaning him over when he's completely recovered from being neutered. I'm a bit out of my depth here so I wondered if anyone more in the know could advise a brand that has a high fibre content? I was thinking it would be something like hay compressed into pellets without the additives and junk.

He is supplemented now with spring greens, just started a few leaves of spinach today, has a tiny bit of banana and strawberry occasionally. I'm still working out what he likes! His treat that he goes mad for is called Burns Meadow Mix for Rabbits and has dandelions and other herbs. He loved fresh dandelions and mint from the garden, along with a little parsley.

Does anyone have any recommendations for fibre based pellets that I can supply him with that can be found in the UK, please? I appreciate being pointed in the right direction as looking at the backs of so many packages is starting to make my head spin just a little! Thank you in advance. :)

Science Selective is very good or Burgess Excel. Or FibaFirst Sticks! Timothy Hay is great for bunnies too!

Science Selective is very good or Burgess Excel. Or FibaFirst Sticks! Timothy Hay is great for bunnies too!
I agree I have fed both of these :)

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

This site may help with understanding the madness that is the back of the packaging of rabbit food. Also has a really helpful table on there.

I remember when I was trying to figure it out it was a right headache!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I forgot to say that he has unlimited access to quality hay - apologies! I've seen the Science Select one around so that may just be the ticket, thank you very much for all of the recommendations, was just what I needed. :)

Science Selective is Bertie's main pellet but he also has Beaphar pellets, which have a high percentage Timothy hay content.

I posted in behaviour but this has been on my mind too as my "next thing"!

I have horses too and have worked at switching them from horse junk food (cereal mixes, oddly similar) to things like grass nuts and more fibre based food. My rabbit came with a bag of Chudley's rabbit muesli, which he loves and picks through...but is rabbit junk food too. As I was having him vaccinated and neutered, I wanted to keep him on the same food so he would be less likely to go off it as he changed home, met the vet and the like. However, I will need to buy a bag of healthier food soon so I can start slowly weaning him over when he's completely recovered from being neutered. I'm a bit out of my depth here so I wondered if anyone more in the know could advise a brand that has a high fibre content? I was thinking it would be something like hay compressed into pellets without the additives and junk.

He is supplemented now with spring greens, just started a few leaves of spinach today, has a tiny bit of banana and strawberry occasionally. I'm still working out what he likes! His treat that he goes mad for is called Burns Meadow Mix for Rabbits and has dandelions and other herbs. He loved fresh dandelions and mint from the garden, along with a little parsley.

Does anyone have any recommendations for fibre based pellets that I can supply him with that can be found in the UK, please? I appreciate being pointed in the right direction as looking at the backs of so many packages is starting to make my head spin just a little! Thank you in advance. :)
dear welchbunny,-the best fiber grasses/pellet would be timothy[based],-buy-online[oxbow],-I rabbits diet should include some digestible food[30%]-with the usual vitamins/minerals,etc.-and you are correct that horses and rabbits gitract are the same-strictly herbivoures..sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

I really like allen and page natural but they have an awful shelf life and even when I had 16 bunnies I struggled to use the bag before it expired. AFAIK Oxbow are the only timothy hay based pellet. Personally I use SS, its such a tiny part of their diet and mine do well on these.

Back