• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacuring older rabbits

jerseygirl

Warren Scout
I've recently got a new companion for one of my rabbits who lost her mate during May. She is already with the new boy.. I'm considering doing 9 days panacur for them both. She's had head tilt last year (unknown cause). Her mother (now passed) also had this so I do think EC was a possibility. I have noticed some changes in the eyes recently too, though this could just be haziness due to aging.

Has anyone had any adverse effect in giving panacur to rabbits 7+yrs and older? I dont really consider 7 as old.. I mean, that was the age of my youngest rabbit until recently. However, having had older buns these past few years, ive gotten more trepidatious with these things then I have been in the past.

Opinions on doing panacur as a precaution? Or just do 30 days if I see a relapse?

ETA: I had intentions to do this for her and her previous mate, especially if I got the sense she was getting "tilty" again and I had seen some hind weakness in him. But I kept hesitating and hesitating... :roll:

Last edited:
I would do the 30 day panacur with bleaching on days 21 and 28.
I recently gave my two year old rabbits a 30+ day course with no ill effects. One lapped it up from the syringe, the other tolerated it on a fenugreek crunchie.

Sorry you lost your boy :(

I would rather do a full course of Panacur than risk EC, especially in an older bunny, and where you know there has probably been exposure to the parasite.
I think it is good practice and I do all mine for 28 days if I get a new arrival.
You could get the eyes checked out at the same as getting any vaccinations - and also ask about panacuring.

I was advised a 30 day course of Panacur for all my rabbits when one had lost some weight. As a result, another one went down with full blown EC, probably due to an inflammatory reaction, and became more disabled, had fits and eventually had to be PTS [emoji22]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone. I’m to go vet tomorrow for another bun for check up, so I’ll mention it to her also.

Thanks Battlekat. I think the loss has left me second guessing myself. Not unusual for that to happen with me. The bun I lost had gone in for a dental, came home- but then passed in early hours of the morning. Feeling a lot of regret about it all. :(

@Jemima, I’m sorry about what happened with your rabbit. The treatment ended up triggering things?

Last edited:
Back