Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revealing a Secret Which Could Have Been a Disaster

Default Revealing a Secret Which Could Have Been a Disaster

Overnight, about 10 days after John Joe's neutering he escaped into Dara's enclosure (Dara is unspayed). As it happened overnight they were obviously together for at least 6 hours. I came down to find them snuggled up together. My heart sank. Obviously JJ could easily have still been fertile just 10 days post castration. Dara cant be spayed due to her respiratory tract/neurological problems. The thought of her becoming pregnant filled me with horror. Not to mention feelings of utter failure and uselessness. Because any 'damage' was almost certainly done and JJ + Dara were absolutely bonded I left them together and spent the next 32 days dreading what I feared to be the inevitable. Of what a terrible Rabbit care giver I am and of all the implications of a Doe like Dara kindling. On Veterinary advice an emergency spay (abortion) was ruled out.

Over the last 48 hours we have had all the classic signs if an imminent kindling. This included the building of 3 nests, fur plucking JJ and lots of squeaking. The only thing that did not and has not happened is a significant weight gain or, over the last 48 hours, any reduction in appetite. Today is day 34 post the unintended union of JJ + Dara. Today they are like 2 different Rabbits, no ultra hormonal behaviour, both very, very calm, eating well and generally doing great. But most importantly NO BABIES. So I am 99.9% certain we are in the clear and I am not due a well deserved bashing from RU for allowing JJ to get to Dara so soon after his castration.

Hope I am not tempting fate by posting this............................

PS- Thank you to the RUer who had to put up with all my 'OMG' messages over the last 4 weeks !!

Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund- a fantastic source of information about Rabbits

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Well, the course of true love never did run smooth! They look very happy together.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

there is a big difference between allowing something to happen & something accidentally happening. Big sigh of relief.

They do look very content together

Glad your worse fears weren't confirmed, but it's so nice to see them cuddled up together x
    [IMG][/IMG

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    there is a big difference between allowing something to happen & something accidentally happening. Big sigh of relief.

They do look very content together
    Yes - this. Exactly what I was going to say Jane. No one - and I mean no one, beats themselves up more than me about goofing up - a-la my post on Lillian. At the end of the day, you are hooman, but you also have your pets welfare as paramount. What happend was a simple accident - not intended and, if you feel that way, the good lord might have just been looking on you at that moment and thought "lets cut Jane a break here" - and hopefully nothing had (or will) happen. We are hooman - we make mistakes.
    Oh, BTW, they are a super snuggled up couple. Loving those photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig 1965 View Post
    Yes - this. Exactly what I was going to say Jane. No one - and I mean no one, beats themselves up more than me about goofing up - a-la my post on Lillian. At the end of the day, you are hooman, but you also have your pets welfare as paramount. What happend was a simple accident - not intended and, if you feel that way, the good lord might have just been looking on you at that moment and thought "lets cut Jane a break here" - and hopefully nothing had (or will) happen. We are hooman - we make mistakes.
    Oh, BTW, they are a super snuggled up couple. Loving those photos.
    Thanks Craig, I have been calling myself all sorts of names (none complimentary) over the last month. I really would have felt awful had Dara been pregnant. Goodness knows what potential health problems the Kits could have had, given Dara's health problems and JJ's unknown genetic history. I would not have been able to keep any Kits but how could I rehome any if there was a potential that they could have genetic health problems. I have had sleepless nights about it all. After all, I have kept Rabbits for 21 years, a mistake by a 'novice' is one thing. But I'd have found it impossible to forgive myself a 'mistake' given my 21 year 'experience'.

NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund- a fantastic source of information about Rabbits

Wise Old Thumper

All's well that ends well What an easy bond though. And they do look very attractive together

Wise Old Thumper

I am pleased they are happy together - they have saved you a stressful bonding!

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    I am pleased they are happy together - they have saved you a stressful bonding!
    I think I'd have preferred that than a month of dreading a Kindling !!

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

They do make a lovely couple and look very happy together!

Really pleased the worst didn't happen. When I was bonding my two I was at the stage of slowly increasing their area. I thought I had the barriers at prison grade security level, I.e impossible to escape from. Well, they ended up bulldozing them down with little effort! Bunnies really are determined little buggers when they want to escape. I think they'd make short work of Alcatraz!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer