• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Revealing a Secret Which Could Have Been a Disaster

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Overnight, about 10 days after John Joe's neutering he escaped into Dara's enclosure (Dara is unspayed). As it happened overnight they were obviously together for at least 6 hours. I came down to find them snuggled up together. My heart sank. Obviously JJ could easily have still been fertile just 10 days post castration. Dara cant be spayed due to her respiratory tract/neurological problems. The thought of her becoming pregnant filled me with horror. Not to mention feelings of utter failure and uselessness. Because any 'damage' was almost certainly done and JJ + Dara were absolutely bonded I left them together and spent the next 32 days dreading what I feared to be the inevitable. Of what a terrible Rabbit care giver I am and of all the implications of a Doe like Dara kindling. On Veterinary advice an emergency spay (abortion) was ruled out.

Over the last 48 hours we have had all the classic signs if an imminent kindling. This included the building of 3 nests, fur plucking JJ and lots of squeaking. The only thing that did not and has not happened is a significant weight gain or, over the last 48 hours, any reduction in appetite. Today is day 34 post the unintended union of JJ + Dara. Today they are like 2 different Rabbits, no ultra hormonal behaviour, both very, very calm, eating well and generally doing great. But most importantly NO BABIES. So I am 99.9% certain we are in the clear and I am not due a well deserved bashing from RU for allowing JJ to get to Dara so soon after his castration.

Hope I am not tempting fate by posting this............................

A4bGnhG.jpg

h823Z5T.jpg

qZizhli.jpg

zI1he8S.jpg

PS- Thank you to the RUer who had to put up with all my 'OMG' messages over the last 4 weeks !!

there is a big difference between allowing something to happen & something accidentally happening. Big sigh of relief.

They do look very content together

there is a big difference between allowing something to happen & something accidentally happening. Big sigh of relief.

They do look very content together

Yes - this. Exactly what I was going to say Jane. No one - and I mean no one, beats themselves up more than me about goofing up - a-la my post on Lillian. At the end of the day, you are hooman, but you also have your pets welfare as paramount. What happend was a simple accident - not intended and, if you feel that way, the good lord might have just been looking on you at that moment and thought "lets cut Jane a break here" - and hopefully nothing had (or will) happen. We are hooman - we make mistakes.
Oh, BTW, they are a super snuggled up couple. Loving those photos. :love:

Yes - this. Exactly what I was going to say Jane. No one - and I mean no one, beats themselves up more than me about goofing up - a-la my post on Lillian. At the end of the day, you are hooman, but you also have your pets welfare as paramount. What happend was a simple accident - not intended and, if you feel that way, the good lord might have just been looking on you at that moment and thought "lets cut Jane a break here" - and hopefully nothing had (or will) happen. We are hooman - we make mistakes.
Oh, BTW, they are a super snuggled up couple. Loving those photos. :love:

Thanks Craig, I have been calling myself all sorts of names (none complimentary) over the last month. I really would have felt awful had Dara been pregnant. Goodness knows what potential health problems the Kits could have had, given Dara's health problems and JJ's unknown genetic history. I would not have been able to keep any Kits but how could I rehome any if there was a potential that they could have genetic health problems. I have had sleepless nights about it all. After all, I have kept Rabbits for 21 years, a mistake by a 'novice' is one thing. But I'd have found it impossible to forgive myself a 'mistake' given my 21 year 'experience'.

All's well that ends well :) What an easy bond though. And they do look very attractive together :love:

They do make a lovely couple and look very happy together!

Really pleased the worst didn't happen. When I was bonding my two I was at the stage of slowly increasing their area. I thought I had the barriers at prison grade security level, I.e impossible to escape from. Well, they ended up bulldozing them down with little effort! Bunnies really are determined little ******* when they want to escape. I think they'd make short work of Alcatraz!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

You shouldn’t beat yourself up about it. Although I’m sure I would have been the same;)

They look so good together:love:

So so so adorable together. :love:. JJ obviously wanted a friend and they both liked each other. The amount of times you hear of failed bonds, it's quite fortunate that two of your single bunnies actually wanted to be together. Glad the time of kindling is safe now. Xxx

You shouldn’t beat yourself up about it. Although I’m sure I would have been the same;)

They look so good together:love:

I know you would !! Most of us always blame ourselves when Bunny problems occur. But what could have happened here makes me feel sick just to think about !! I just have to hope that I have not been premature in posting this thread. If I have, then any bashing I get will be much deserved !!

You won't get any bashing. We have all made mistakes, no rabbit has been hurt, it's natural what happened.

Daft question but can boys still do it months, years after neutering ?

Oh but Jane...just look at them! :love::love::love:

I'm so happy for you that there appears to be no babies on the way. Sorry it's been such a worrying time for you. Still...my goodness what a beautiful couple they are! :love:

Please give them both a snuggle from me and just wag a late, tsk-ing finger at John-Joe for being a sneaky little git. (Because I know you always do your utmost for your bunnies, he had to have employed some ninja skills to get to Dara.)

No judgement here, my dear friend. I'm glad all has turned out well in the end. :)

Thanks everyone, I really would have been mortified if Dara had become pregnant. It would be bad enough if she were a robust and healthy Rabbit and I knew her genetic history and that of JJ. But Dara is far from 'robust' and all I know about JJ's history is that his Mum was an Ermine Rex and his Dad an Orange Rex. All in all had Dara had Kits it would have been a total disaster.

They were meant to be together [emoji7] glad it turned out well in the end, I'm sure you'd have found caring bunny savvy homes if needed too ;)

They're so so cute together [emoji7][emoji7]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

They're a beautiful pair together! And it sounds like it's all going to work out for the best. You're a very wonderful bunny owner Jane :)

You won't get any bashing. We have all made mistakes, no rabbit has been hurt, it's natural what happened.

Daft question but can boys still do it months, years after neutering ?

if you mean being after neutered, no. they're fertile for about 8 weeks afterwards, so its recommended to not bond them until that point, especially if she doe isn't altered herself. plus it takes a while for the hormones to start calming down :) after that they're in the clear.

I hope it isn't the case Jane, usually rabbits nest build a few hours before birthing.

I know how stressful it can be, second hand at least. a friend brought home rabbits, rescued them from a lady who couldn't care for them anymore. what the lady failed to tell my friend was that this girl had been in with boys, she was only 5 months old, so its really too early for her to be pregnant and maturely look after a litter. my friend noticed she looked larger, figured she was pregnant, so there was a scramble to check the other rabbit she was with was a girl, she was, so that was the point she contacted the previous owner, and she was told! it was upsetting to say the least, my friend thought she was just rescuing two does, and ended up with all that stress.

fortunately, well its quite sad, a few hours later one single stillborn baby was born and no others. I say fortunately as my friend was really equipped to deal with a litter, and her little bun is so young, she probably wouldn't have taken very good care of her :(

I hope you are in the clear, they do look so cute together :love:

Back