• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unlimited pellets

rachellg

New Kit
Hello,

Just wondering if anybody could advise on feeding unlimited pellets to young bunnies.
I've had my rabbit for 1 week now, and she is 9 weeks old.
I was following the information on this page, which says that rabbits should have unlimited pellets and hay until 7 months:

https://rabbit.org/faq-diet/

She had her Nobivac vaccine today and the vet advised against this, saying pellets should be strictly rationed.
Can anyone enlighten me?

hi! welcome to the forum :wave:

I think everybody has a different opinion about it, and technically your vet is right, but for older rabbits, not babies.

in adult rabbits an excess of pellet can lead to weight problems along with dental problems, as they fill up upon the pellet and don't eat their hay, thus allowing the teeth to become overgrown and painful. the only way that can be fixed is by a dental, and unless the diet is sorted it will keep happening. a rabbits diet should be 80% hay, so you can see the issue.

but in younger rabbits pellets are important as they have nutrients in them to help them grow. protein, vitamins, without them they'd probably be malnourished and end up with issues later on in life. plus, they're growing, they need extra calories.

some argue unlimited pellet is good for rabbits, and others wouldn't.

personally - I'd argue unlimited (as in, literally, every time the bowl is empty filling it back up) is more harmful to their health than helpful. young rabbits can also get dental issues if they don't eat enough hay. many rabbits far prefer the tasty pellet over the boring hay, so they're more likely to just eat pellet. good hay eating habits are started at a young age (imho), often rabbits who haven't had a good diet at a young age don't want hay when they're older and it becomes a task to get them to eat it.

I made that mistake with my first rabbit, constant bowl of hay, and up he had his first dental at around 6 months old and was extremely tricky to get to eat hay in his later life.

however I wouldn't say they should be strictly rationed for a baby bunny. a vet nurse I'm in contact with suggest 5 tablespoons for your average rabbit (for a larger rabbit like a conti, she'd double that). I personally went with 1 table spoon per kg of expected adult bodyweight, so my mini rex Orion was expected to weigh 2kg as an adult, so he got 2 tablespoons. he's now a healthy adult with good eating habits for hay with no issues.

just like with most pets, everybody has a different idea of what is right. its about doing your own research, talking to other owners and seeking veterinary advise and making your own decision :) personally I wouldn't advise totally unlimited pellets, as I feel good hay eating is started at a young age and can contribute to an early need for a dental when they're quite young. others haven't had an issue and found it to be fine, its complicated.

I'd also just like to say its great you got her vaccinated! there's a second one that she needs - filivac (or eravac, used for meat rabbits, immunity is 9 months). she can have that in 2 weeks. I just wanted to mention in case you didn't know :)

Yes, I agree. The term 'unlimited' does imply as much as the bun can stuff down, and some animals are always more greedy than others. Plus obviously you want to get them to be good hay eaters too. So I think a limited amount, but more than an adult would get.

Ingredients in pellets differ from brand and variety within a brand. Young bunnies may be more likely to get imbalances in gut flora.
So in addition to great advice others already posted, be aware some pellets contain less fiber and less protein.

I would not ration pellets.,yet I also would not keep bowl full at all times
Perhaps feed as much as they eat in a half hour twice a day with hay rest of time

young rabbit diet

Hello,

Just wondering if anybody could advise on feeding unlimited pellets to young bunnies.
I've had my rabbit for 1 week now, and she is 9 weeks old.
I was following the information on this page, which says that rabbits should have unlimited pellets and hay until 7 months:

https://rabbit.org/faq-diet/

She had her Nobivac vaccine today and the vet advised against this, saying pellets should be strictly rationed.
Can anyone enlighten me?

dear rachellg,-that would be an improper diet for rabbits-as-they are strictly herbivores[grass eaters]--their teeth constantly grow-so they require[nondigestible]grasses to keep their teeth happy--diet should be 70%timothy/orchard grasses,-then some quality pellets[vitamins/digestible food],-lots of water and some treats..-pellets are also soft food--if a rabbit prefers them over grass[probem]-dental or otherwise-always watch for that behavior.-note:-I younger rabbit diet is different[however it is weaned]-and still growing view your link[house of rabbits]-for more info on a weaned bun-,.sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa:love::wave:

Last edited:
Hi welcome to the forum :wave: others have given you great advice already so not going to add anything. So pleased to hear that your bun has been vaccinated, that's so important. Hope your bunny is settling in well, and getting to know and trust you. Please post as many questions as you like, there's always someone who will be able to help or share experience with you. We love photos too :D

Thank you all SO much for your helpful and detailed responses and advice, and the kind welcome! :D:love:

Great, I will cut down on the pellets (these are Allen and Page Breeder Grower, her breeder gave me a massive bag of it which I have kept her on, haven't decided whether to think about switching to another brand yet). She is a mini lion lop, so quite a small wee girl - although she has definitely grown a lot bigger in this past week that she's been on unlimited pellets! Currently weighs 900g. Will try 2 tablespoons of pellets a day, once in morning and once in evening.

Her breeder had already given her the Eravac vaccine at 5 weeks, but I will book her in for a booster at 9 months for that. Thanks for the reminder - VHD2 is scary!

Not sure if the image links will work, but here are a couple of pics! Any name suggestions also appreciated, we still haven't decided on a name yet! :lol:

66262254_831325543913513_8820877242658717696_n%25201_zpsnq8j9xyq.jpg.html

66375575_716748745431210_7466470416945512448_n%25201_zps7evslmwz.jpg.html

Back