Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House bunny enclosure

Wise Old Thumper

Default House bunny enclosure

Iím trying to figure out a set up, and would be really interested to hear from people with indoor enclosures what height they are.

My previous indoor set ups have been my rabbits in their own bedroom, so havenít really had to consider like a barrier height before. I live in a one bedroom apartment now, and my plan is to section off half of the living area with some sort of pet gate, with future bunny being contained to that area when we are out or sleeping, but with access to the entire apartment while we are home and awake.

I ask because I remember being like at the height of pens at the rescue I used to volunteer at, even though there were no escapes while I was there and they said they had never had a problem with bunnies trying to jump over. My last bunny would have without a doubt been over the gate within minutes if I had of tried to contain her with a pen that high. Also when I look at examples of indoor rabbit enclosures online Iím like do the rabbits not just jump out I donít know if I am unnecessarily making this more difficult for myself by trying to base it off my previous rabbit who was a very enthusiastic jumper and escape artist. Iím basically having trouble finding pens higher than the ones Iím unsure about!

Mama Doe

You can get puppy pens in 4' high. They tend to come as a single line of panels jointed together and clips to join the ends, so they are adjustable to any space, or you can join two sets together. They will need to be fixed at some point and zig-zagged a bit to keep them stable, though. They could be fastened to a permanently open large dog crate as the base for the messy bits (eg hay). Something along these lines:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Puppy-Pla...TxEPdWn-ZXuZUg
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dog-Cage-...596niK6SoUmMvw

Dillon and Susans run only comes up to my knee's. They stand with their feet on the top when demanding treats!!! I am sure if they wanted they could just hope over.

Wise Old Thumper

Thanks!

I hadnít seen any that high yet here, but I will keep looking. Iím avoiding the metal ones to be honest, Iíve only been looking at wooden ones as I want something heavier for stability and that I can either buy support legs for or have some made. I used a metal pen for bonding once and one of my rabbits pulled the whole thing down so Iíve been forever put off using those! I rent my home so canít fix anything to the walls, so I was hoping to find a heavy one that I can zigzag across the room with a support leg on each panel.

Cuthburt&Dillon do you not worry about them getting out when your not around?

I have something similar to this in the kitchen to separate Pickle and Beans. Mine hasnít got feet on it as it is wedged in between the worktop and the fridge on one side and I have it up against the edge of the worktop and held in place by my toolbox and a tub filled with rock salt on the other side. Itís just over 90cm tall and so far no bun has hurdled it!
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/UniPaws-F...9-8098dbe4f506
    I donít know if you could tie a couple together to make a longer one, I guess the problem is the higher it is, the less stable it is.

ETA thereís some pics of it in this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...n-should-I-try
    Last edited by Glingle; 12-07-2019 at 06:41 PM.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

dear sillyrabbit,-generally a -24"-or-60cm??--however there are exceptions to the rule,one of my young males[climbed]over and the grass was greener..if you know what I mean,--rr,rr-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Wise Old Thumper

Yes thatís exactly what Iíve been looking at Glingle, I have just ordered a couple of similar but slightly smaller ones of those, I was struggling to find any taller ones that I could buy like now, they all seemed to be out of stock everywhere. Iím just going to hope for the best. The rest of my apartment will be bunny proof anyways, and Iím doing quite a big and interesting space for them.

Thanks for the help everyone. I am meeting my new bunny tomorrow!

Ooh exciting! You’ll have to tell us all about it of course.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Quote Originally Posted by sillyrabbit View Post
    Yes thatís exactly what Iíve been looking at Glingle, I have just ordered a couple of similar but slightly smaller ones of those, I was struggling to find any taller ones that I could buy like now, they all seemed to be out of stock everywhere. Iím just going to hope for the best. The rest of my apartment will be bunny proof anyways, and Iím doing quite a big and interesting space for them.

Thanks for the help everyone. I am meeting my new bunny tomorrow!
    Iím so glad to hear that you will be welcoming a new bunny into your life

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Wise Old Thumper

Thank you I am so, so excited!