• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House bunny enclosure

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
I’m trying to figure out a set up, and would be really interested to hear from people with indoor enclosures what height they are.

My previous indoor set ups have been my rabbits in their own bedroom, so haven’t really had to consider like a barrier height before. I live in a one bedroom apartment now, and my plan is to section off half of the living area with some sort of pet gate, with future bunny being contained to that area when we are out or sleeping, but with access to the entire apartment while we are home and awake.

I ask because I remember being like :shock: at the height of pens at the rescue I used to volunteer at, even though there were no escapes while I was there and they said they had never had a problem with bunnies trying to jump over. My last bunny would have without a doubt been over the gate within minutes if I had of tried to contain her with a pen that high. Also when I look at examples of indoor rabbit enclosures online I’m like do the rabbits not just jump out :? I don’t know if I am unnecessarily making this more difficult for myself by trying to base it off my previous rabbit who was a very enthusiastic jumper and escape artist. I’m basically having trouble finding pens higher than the ones I’m unsure about!

You can get puppy pens in 4' high. They tend to come as a single line of panels jointed together and clips to join the ends, so they are adjustable to any space, or you can join two sets together. They will need to be fixed at some point and zig-zagged a bit to keep them stable, though. They could be fastened to a permanently open large dog crate as the base for the messy bits (eg hay). Something along these lines:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Puppy-Pl...hash=item2a90ce95c3:m:mMYBTgxD0TxEPdWn-ZXuZUg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dog-Cage...hash=item1efd6c4f85:m:m1D2fGBFL596niK6SoUmMvw

Dillon and Susans run only comes up to my knee's. They stand with their feet on the top when demanding treats!!! I am sure if they wanted they could just hope over.

Thanks!

I hadn’t seen any that high yet here, but I will keep looking. I’m avoiding the metal ones to be honest, I’ve only been looking at wooden ones as I want something heavier for stability and that I can either buy support legs for or have some made. I used a metal pen for bonding once and one of my rabbits pulled the whole thing down so I’ve been forever put off using those! I rent my home so can’t fix anything to the walls, so I was hoping to find a heavy one that I can zigzag across the room with a support leg on each panel.

Cuthburt&Dillon do you not worry about them getting out when your not around?

I have something similar to this in the kitchen to separate Pickle and Beans. Mine hasn’t got feet on it as it is wedged in between the worktop and the fridge on one side and I have it up against the edge of the worktop and held in place by my toolbox and a tub filled with rock salt on the other side. It’s just over 90cm tall and so far no bun has hurdled it!
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/UniPaws-...&pd_rd_r=490ab6f7-fcee-4f91-b759-8098dbe4f506
I don’t know if you could tie a couple together to make a longer one, I guess the problem is the higher it is, the less stable it is.

ETA there’s some pics of it in this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...Pickle-and-Beans-eventually-When-should-I-try

Last edited:
dear sillyrabbit,-generally a -24"-or-60cm??--however there are exceptions to the rule,one of my young males[climbed]over and the grass was greener..if you know what I mean,--rr,rr-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Yes that’s exactly what I’ve been looking at Glingle, I have just ordered a couple of similar but slightly smaller ones of those, I was struggling to find any taller ones that I could buy like now, they all seemed to be out of stock everywhere. I’m just going to hope for the best. The rest of my apartment will be bunny proof anyways, and I’m doing quite a big and interesting space for them.

Thanks for the help everyone. I am meeting my new bunny tomorrow!

Yes that’s exactly what I’ve been looking at Glingle, I have just ordered a couple of similar but slightly smaller ones of those, I was struggling to find any taller ones that I could buy like now, they all seemed to be out of stock everywhere. I’m just going to hope for the best. The rest of my apartment will be bunny proof anyways, and I’m doing quite a big and interesting space for them.

Thanks for the help everyone. I am meeting my new bunny tomorrow!

I’m so glad to hear that you will be welcoming a new bunny into your life:love:

My pen is a bit of a mishmash at the moment - mostly wood & perspex panels which are 1.2m high and a couple of heavy duty puppy panels which are around 1m high. My female has jumped over the puppy panels before, I believe from the top of a hide rather than from ground level though!

I built this for Pie under the stairs from a set of wooden flat pack shelves she thinks it's ok litter tray underneath small straw box she sits in she tends to destroy any foam filled beds but she mainly hangs out under the ramp with her yellow duck [emoji16] she has chewed the legs a little but doesnt bother anymore the ramp is one shelf [emoji106] (she just ran thru the water bowl)
f8d99b1ac3d3bd4db3d82dc2c4ddea87.jpg
c53dcba8f0d9b2a2eabc60b4a938c751.jpg
abba25d4e234bb7fa04feab6425a5d4f.jpg
2854aa5c84238224573a1f495722f9a2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back