• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I’ve no idea how Pickle is still alive!

Glingle

Warren Veteran
Came downstairs this morning and Pickle greeted me at the baby gate. He demanded his morning nose rub and then jumped up onto the tub so that he was as close as possible to the breakfast fenugreek crunchies. All perfectly normal behaviour. As I came out of the kitchen with my coffee, I glanced to the right and my heart sank as I noticed the cable to my craft heat tool dangling down next to the litter tray at the tool on the floor.
I pulled it up grabbing the gun and then reached for it further down. At that point I felt a strong tingling in my fingers. Yep, it was still plugged into the wall and I’d just grabbed the live copper wires that were exposed! Obviously, I quickly let go and unplugged it immediately.
Pickle was still happily chomping hay whilst all this was happening. I’ll keep a close eye on him today and get him straight to the vets if I’m at all concerned. Given how much wire was explosed he must have been chewing it for quite a while.

PNva3Xml.jpg

Last edited:
I've had so many bunnies do this kind of stuff over the years. I've no idea how they fare so well. When Joey first came to us he got inside the tv cabinet & chewed all the cords, ariel etc. We were out in the sticks for a year & only had ch 4 for 11 months. No phone, no www (though that can't be blamed on Joe)

They are keeping you on your toes aren't they. Its ages since I had a young bunny - I forget about the difference in energy & naughty levels. Just as well they are so delightfully cute

I don't get it either. Sunshine, one of my old bunnies, chewed the electric wall heater cable and I got a very nasty electric shock from it. We had to have the heater disconnected, but he never had anything affect him.

Yes I think they must be insulated, Treacle has also nibbled through two cables, and lives to tell the tale ! Glad Pickle is ok though, you too !!

Lucky Pickle! Our buns have chewed so many wires too, don't know how they manage it but they are fine after they've done it!

My two bridge house buns were destructa buns.Lost count of the number of cables they munched.Despitebour best efforts they found a way.I still have a lamp with a white cable that is patched up with loads of red insulation tape.They would both be lying snoozing, I'd go to the toilet and they would be up and over the barriers get behind the TV and attack the cables.They also loved stripping the wallpaper.I still miss them.:)

Naughty Pickle!

Mine have managed to get to cables to destroy them. They always manage to thwart my best efforts to stop them getting at them.

I feel this is another one of those bunny paradoxes: incredibly fragile creatures who can nonetheless chew through the national grid and come out unscathed! (See also the fact they're biologically programmed to live in pairs or groups yet introducing them to new friends can be a fraught and stressful experience for everyone concerned!)

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

My bridge bun Sam, did this to me. Btw, he isn't a bridge bun because of chomping electrical cables. Our chest freezer was in the garage and Sam had a sneaky habbit of going behind it. I discovered him one day sneaking behind and I shushed him out and as I did, I noticed that the wires seemed damaged. So, like the intelligent person I am, I moved the freezer (which was standing in a small pool of water) and, holding the metal back of the freezer and standing in the water, looked at the now bare wires and (bear in mind it was still plugged in), I grabbed the nice shiny copper wire. I woke up on the other side of the garage, slightly worse for wear and with a bit of a shake.
I learned a lesson that day. Make sure wires are taped up and access blocked off. Oh, and if you are going to be a complete eejot, remember to unplug appliances before grabbing any bare wires - it also helps not to be standing in water and holding the metal back of said appliance. It makes a good earth for electricity - as I found out.

Makes me very glad that my two house rabbits live in a cable free room!!!

They are too busy to chew as you can see

33udi08.jpg

Oh wow! its crazy how bunnies manage to do that. Funnily enough we were talking about our bridge bunny Charlie as he used to go through cables all the time (he was qualified electrician.) I pondered to OH why in cartoons when someone is being electrocuted you can see there skeleton? Craig was your skeleton visable when you got electrocuted that time? [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So glad he seems ok. I remember my first rabbit thumper at my nans while we was on holiday, she walked in house and thumper was chewing TV wire and the sparks where coming out of her mouth

My bridge bun Sam, did this to me. Btw, he isn't a bridge bun because of chomping electrical cables. Our chest freezer was in the garage and Sam had a sneaky habbit of going behind it. I discovered him one day sneaking behind and I shushed him out and as I did, I noticed that the wires seemed damaged. So, like the intelligent person I am, I moved the freezer (which was standing in a small pool of water) and, holding the metal back of the freezer and standing in the water, looked at the now bare wires and (bear in mind it was still plugged in), I grabbed the nice shiny copper wire. I woke up on the other side of the garage, slightly worse for wear and with a bit of a shake.
I learned a lesson that day. Make sure wires are taped up and access blocked off. Oh, and if you are going to be a complete eejot, remember to unplug appliances before grabbing any bare wires - it also helps not to be standing in water and holding the metal back of said appliance. It makes a good earth for electricity - as I found out.

Omg, Craig, that sounds like something my ex would've done for fun. :lol: Seriously, he was worse that this, the kind of guy who'd get a toothbrush jammed in his throat because it happened to be defective. :roll:

Glad you, and Glingle and Pickle are okay despite the shocking experiences. Pickle is certainly well named, silly bun! :shock:

Minilop...good grief... :shock: Bunnies can be frightening, can't they?

So glad he seems ok. I remember my first rabbit thumper at my nans while we was on holiday, she walked in house and thumper was chewing TV wire and the sparks where coming out of her mouth

Omg, I assume she was alright.

Craig that is very frightening indeed.

Oh wow! its crazy how bunnies manage to do that. Funnily enough we were talking about our bridge bunny Charlie as he used to go through cables all the time (he was qualified electrician.) I pondered to OH why in cartoons when someone is being electrocuted you can see there skeleton? Craig was your skeleton visable when you got electrocuted that time? [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Did you ever see Home Alone2 when Marv went to wash his face in the sink in the basement which Kevin had wired up to the welding machine electrics and Marv got electrocuted and all his hair stood on end and comically you saw a skeleton? Well, that's how I felt. I got a proper zapping that day and by the book I did everything possible to maximise the full effect of the national grid. :lol:

Gosh Pickle what a chomper you are.

Craig - wow you were lucky!

Makes me glad that the wires near the bunnies are all in hosepipes - they look terrible but at least they offer a little resistance to chompers.

I'm reading (and reviewing) a book on the basics of quantum physics at the moment, and I wonder if bunnies have some kind of weird relationship with the nanoscale world because the bit on how electricity works is fascinating, and their (lack of) reactions might be something to do with them being different! I mean, they're a law unto themselves so maybe they have their own special physics? :lol:

Oh goodness Craig, that must have been terrifying. I was thinking back to what happened and realised that I was wearing my crocs at the time which have very thick soles (they may be ugly but they’re good insulation!). My new heat tool arrived this morning £23.04. Very annoying as my original one was bought when it was on offer a couple of years ago for half price. Hey ho.

Back