• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

does anyone knows how long the drowiness effect of Gabapentin last?

Bunny Momma, my bun is a Dutch, her name is Minnie, she's 12 yr. old

==================

since she's wearing off the effect, I give her sub-Q every 12 hr. or so. And I give her some liquid baby food, assuming she's willing to swallow it. Does anyone has any further idea on food ?

How about some mint or basil if she'll take it? It's usually the first thing my rabbits will nibble at.

no, the baby food kind of work. But I don't know how to tell the difference between the withdrawal from gabapentin vs. a rabbit is dying. How can you tell the difference?

Right now, she seems to be grasping for air. This is a bad sign, she wasn't doing that yesterday.

no, the baby food kind of work. But I don't know how to tell the difference between the withdrawal from gabapentin vs. a rabbit is dying. How can you tell the difference?

Right now, she seems to be grasping for air. This is a bad sign, she wasn't doing that yesterday.

Do you mean she is 'mouth breathing'. This is a very poor prognostic sign. It means she is not getting enough oxygen into her lungs. There can be a multitude of reasons for this- heart failure/pneumonia/ a mass in the chest cavity to name just 3. It really does sound as though you need to contact a Vet ASAP. Does your Vet do House Visits ? This is what I would want to try to organise within the next hour or so as from your posts it sounds as though your Bunny is really struggling and I know you do not want her to suffer. Even if the Vet can offer nothing but humane euthanasia, it would be kinder than for your Bunny to be struggling so badly and not able to breathe.

I am so sorry that you are having to face this awful situation, having 'known' you via RU for many years I am certain that you are trying to do your best for your Bunny xx

When I post this, she was mouth breathing for a few minutes, then she remains okay, and I put her back to my bed. Sometimes later, she passed away. I have rabbits for 21 years, when it comes to the above situation, it's hard to tell which is which:

1) if she's suffering from gabapentin withdraw, there is very little I need to do. I just need to make sure she has some food and sub-q and get the drug off her system

2) if she' dying, in which, we know now she was, at that stage, I hardly think there is anything any vet can do. Knowing what we know now, even her neck is non responsive when I try to syringe feed her. I did give her 1 more sub-Q at 7 am yesterday morning. She passed away a few hr. later.

Among all my rabbits, she's my longest companion in this home, 12 yr. and 7 mth., and I just couldn't figure out what is her cause of death.

On last Fri. at 3 pm, we visit the vet, she's in good spirit and the vet took her blood for her 2nd blood test. From Fri. to Sun. night when this happens, there are only 3 drugs in her system

Gabapentin
Enrofluxin
Benepac

The enrofluxin did cause some soft poos, but she had worse soft poos in the past, that in itself can't cause death. Benepac is a probitics

as to food, it's just water and hand feed hay.

So it has to be gabapentin that causes this. Even from that PDF file, it didn't say gabapentin can cause death. So I am open to suggestion just for my piece of mind. One loose guess would be the gabapentin could relax the heart too much, and at her age, it slow down the heart too much. In summary, since the 2nd or 3rd syringe feed of the gabapentin, she's in that dooze off stage, totally not moving. And I follow the vet's instruction on the dosage

and the thing is, it works very well on the first administration of gabapentin on Fri. night, as she has so much more bunny poos on Sat. morning, I was really happy

I have no experience of Gabapentin, either in humans or rabbits. I am so very sorry to read your sad update though about Minnie :cry: 12 years and 7 months is a long time to share your home with a rabbit and I'm sure you will miss her very much.

When I post this, she was mouth breathing for a few minutes, then she remains okay, and I put her back to my bed. Sometimes later, she passed away. I have rabbits for 21 years, when it comes to the above situation, it's hard to tell which is which:

1) if she's suffering from gabapentin withdraw, there is very little I need to do. I just need to make sure she has some food and sub-q and get the drug off her system

2) if she' dying, in which, we know now she was, at that stage, I hardly think there is anything any vet can do. Knowing what we know now, even her neck is non responsive when I try to syringe feed her. I did give her 1 more sub-Q at 7 am yesterday morning. She passed away a few hr. later.

Among all my rabbits, she's my longest companion in this home, 12 yr. and 7 mth., and I just couldn't figure out what is her cause of death.

On last Fri. at 3 pm, we visit the vet, she's in good spirit and the vet took her blood for her 2nd blood test. From Fri. to Sun. night when this happens, there are only 3 drugs in her system

Gabapentin
Enrofluxin
Benepac

The enrofluxin did cause some soft poos, but she had worse soft poos in the past, that in itself can't cause death. Benepac is a probitics

as to food, it's just water and hand feed hay.

So it has to be gabapentin that causes this. Even from that PDF file, it didn't say gabapentin can cause death. So I am open to suggestion just for my piece of mind. One loose guess would be the gabapentin could relax the heart too much, and at her age, it slow down the heart too much. In summary, since the 2nd or 3rd syringe feed of the gabapentin, she's in that dooze off stage, totally not moving. And I follow the vet's instruction on the dosage

and the thing is, it works very well on the first administration of gabapentin on Fri. night, as she has so much more bunny poos on Sat. morning, I was really happy

I am very sorry Jason. I do not think it was the Gabapentin that caused your Bunny's death. She was an elderly Bunny with some health problems. Eventually a time has to come when the major organs (Heart/Lungs/kidneys/Liver) are not strong enough to sustain life :cry: So please dont blame yourself for her passing, IMO it was 'her time'. It comes to all of us in the end, no matter how much treatment is given. No living being can go on forever. Your Bunny passed away peacefully at home in a familiar environment. It is the type of passing I would wish for myself and for anyone (human or animal) whom I love.

RIP Minnie xx

So sorry for your loss.
Jane has summed up everything nicely.
Take care of yourself as well - Minnie was a fabulous age and that is a credit to you.

I'm sorry :( You obviously gave her a wonderful life for her to have lived so many years. The loss must be huge.

Sweet dreams Minnie xx

I am sorry for your loss. It really sounds like you gave Minnie a wonderful life and that she passed in a peace environment with you comforting her at her side.

I'm so sorry that you have lost your long time companion, Minnie. As others have said, it was probably her time, and passing peacefully at her home, with those that loved her, would have been such a comfort to her xxx

I am so sorry to read this update and I am sorry that you lost Minnie. You gave her a wonderful long and loving life - which is a credit to you and she will always be a part of your life. Binkey free beautiful Minnie xx

So sorry for your loss. Jane has summed it up beautifully. Sadly it comes to all of us at some point with our pets (I am nearly at that stage right now with one of mine) We do whatever we can to try and make them happy and comfortable, but at some point it will become their time to leave us. The way I have it now in my head is; my job is done and I have given them a good life, caring for them through it, and protecting them from any harm, and I am thankful that I've had mine share his little life with me for so long. Your job is now done, and you have given Minnie the best life. I hope you can find peace with that thought.

Take care of yourself HH. xx

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you at this sad time, and hoping that memories of happier times with Minnie will become a comfort. x

I am so sorry for your loss. May your memories of her long life give you some comfort during this difficult time. Perhaps you can share some of the stories of her wonderful life with you.

thank you eveyrone for your kind words. On Tuesday during the afternoon and evening, I let her companion Fudgie smells her body, so that he knows his girlfriend has passed away. And I came back from the paw print and the cremation.

The place that does the paw print apparently now accepts paw print thru out North America, Tina from Peach Tree Studio, so the job will now take 3 to 4 months before Minnie's paw prints comes back.

I also wrote a tribute to Minnie at my main facebook page, normally I should post a new thread, but since everyone is here, I might as well post it here:

My bun Minnie passed away yesterday at the age of 12 year and 7 month old, she is my longest living companion in this home. She and her companion Monty were the first 2 adopted rabbits in my home. The day I was at SPCA back in Sept. 2007, the volunteer lady was crying and lobby me to adopt Minnie because SPCA is on a first come, first out basis, I think she knows they are going to euthanize Minnie soon if noone adopts her.

So I took her advice because she said Minnie is an affectionate bunny, and Monty turns out is her second companion. As before I arrive at SPCA, her companion Chocolate was euthanized due to lack of space. Monty passed away only 4 months after he arrived at my home, as he chewed some furniture and caused a blockage in his stomach, since then I have throw away that piece of furniture. Then comes Bernie, another good companion for Minnie for a few years until Bernie passed away during a dental operation. Then comes Bobby, in which Bobby and Minnie lives together for 7 years.

I notice days after Bernie passed away, Minnie was agitated. But when Bobby passed away, she's really sad and keep sleeping on the spots where Bobby used to stay. Then comes Fudgie, in which they also make great companion for over 1 year. In total, she has 5 companions in her life, 4 of them are also my adopted rabbits.

In her staying of my home for these 12 years, a few upgrades were done for these bunnies. A bunny castle set, 100% wool carpet and some temporary wainscot along most parts of the walls of this house to keep them from chewing on dry walls.

Looking back, I truly believe the blackberry diet, along with organic red palm oil supplement, gives her such a long life, as 12 year & 7 month is equivalent to 88 to 93 year old to a human.

Back