• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

does anyone knows how long the drowiness effect of Gabapentin last?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
I run into a situation that I haven't seen before. My senior bun has arthritis, so we did 2 blood test, and by accident, the vet discover some infection on the liver/kidney even there is no symptoms of infections

so, we were given gabapentin pain killer, bene pac for probiotics and enrofluxin for ABX. When I use the gabapentin for the 1st time (Mon), it works wonder, there is a lot bunny poos. Then the next day, I use bene pac probitics powder, that was 7 pm, by 10 pm, she has soft poos. They are the circular shape form poos, but still soft, almost like those sticky poos.

So I stopped using bene pac. And I go back to the prescription amt. of 0.08 cc of gabapentin. Just after that, I think it is gabapentin that causes her to have drowniness. I did give her 0.45 cc of enrofluxin as per instruction, but just now, I decide to stop that as well.

IT's now 14 hr. later, she still looks tired. There is poos comes out, but once again, they are soft. Does anyone knows the drowniness effect of gabapentin and how long it would last?

The vet said he never seen a case of bene pac causes soft poos. But that first day, all she has is hay, enrofluxin, gabapentin, and the 2nd day, it's bene pac on top of this.

Have you considered that it might be the gabapentin that might be causing the soft poos. I have no experience with that med before but my bridge bunny used the gel form pf bene bac while she was on tramadol. It really helped her to have normal poo.
I know with humans quite often medicines will cause diarrhea that will start after a full day or 2 of being on the med.

it's possible. Right now, it's fightening, as she's not swallowing the baby food. But as of last night, it's the last time I give these medication. She has no medication this morning. And she's just lying there

Either she's still getting over the effect of the drowniness of the gabapentin, or she's dying. But she's doing well prior to these medication, so I am hoping the medication is causing all these problems

Last edited:
it's possible. Right now, it's frightening, as she's not swallowing the baby food. But as of last night, it's the last time I give these medication. She has no medication this morning. And she's just lying there

Either she's still getting over the effect of the drowniness of the gabapentin, or she's dying. But she's doing well prior to these medication, so I am hoping the medication is causing all these problems

I am so sorry to hear how frightening this is. I would be really worried also. You say that she is not swallowing the baby food. Are you syringe feeding her the baby food and critical food? Will she nibble on anything right now at all?
Is she in stasis now? My bunny Julie would just lie there when in stasis. Tramadol caused loss of appetite for my rabbit and the bene bac really helped with that. If she is in statis now the bene bac if you can get it into her might help to pull her out and get her eating something.

I have use critical care in the past. They hate it. They let it drop off their mouth. So my goal was to get some food in their stomach. And as of a few hr. ago, there is baby food goes in, and soft poos coming out. All by sryinge feed. I'll try bene bac now

sometimes I wonder if the enrofluxin can cause that much damage. Her poos is soft, but not in liquid form, it's the soft egg shape, and there is soft poo for 12 hr., re-continue just a hr. ago. Again, not much soft poos, just a bit. I wonder that small amt. of soft poos can cause her to be limp like this

I am sorry that I m not much help. At least something is getting in and you are getting some output. I have no idea about the limpness or enrofloxacin and side affects. Does she seem to be in pain? As far as giving her sub Q fluids, does she seem dehydrated when you gently pinch her skin between your fingers??
I think that I personally would take her to an after hours vet. Do you have an emergency vets in Canada? In 7 or 8 hours people in the UK should be waking up and hopefully someone much more knowledgeable will see this. Sending you some vibes.

She's dying. There is nothing that can be done. She's not responding to almost anything. She's not pain. Just totally limp

She's still here. But the syringe feed of baby food has no response. Meaning that her neck is not holding up, and she can't really swallow. Some baby food did go in as it's liquid, and about 4 hr. ago, I did give her 50cc of Sub-Q, and then 7 hr. eariler, I also gave her 50 cc of sub-Q.

the Gabapentin is given at 11 pm last night, so like you say, it can still have that negative effect.

if this were the effect of gabopentin, knowing that she has some fluid in her body, would you say I still should syringe feed her some baby food? (She doesn't like critical care)

See, this is the part that I don't understand: if she's dying, I can't figure the cause. The soft poos is moderate, nothing I haven't seen before on her in the past years.

I mean, does Gabapentin causes a rabbit to be limp? I thought it should only makes a rabbit drownsy. Let me read your PDF file

Last edited:
So I only use gabapentin a few times, a total of 0.08 cc per 12 hr. on my 1.76 KG bun:

1) the very first time is July 5 (last Fri.) around 8 pm., the next morning, there is great improvement, a lot of bunny poos comes out, much more than an average load, since then, I give 0.08 cc per 12 hr.

2) on Sat. in 1 administration I gave only 0.04 cc

3) the last time given was Sun. night at 11 pm, 0.08 cc. At the time, I thought her soft poos is caused by bene pac, but now I'm very sure it's the Enrofluxin causing it, as I just remember my bridge bun Bobby had the same problem last year, Enro. was given, then he also had soft poos.

so in total only 4 times on the gabapentin. 0.08 cc x 3 times, 0.04 x 1 time

Since it's only 4 times, do I seriously need to "slowly reduced in dose"? as her symptoms right now is EXACTLY the way that PDF file describes it, please help

I do not have any experience with gabapentin. However, I have used Enroflaxicin on many different bunnies over a couple decades and have not experienced the side effects you are mentioning.
Kidney infections can be very painful. It is important to control your bunny's pain and infection so your vet may prescribe something different or change the dosages if your bunny is having a reaction to the meds, instead of a medical issue.

Please contact your vet or see an emergency vet for an evaluation. Sending you and your bunny some positive vibes.

Last edited:
I think it's hit and miss. my bun was using enro. in the past year, and she has no problem. But my other bunny Bobby was given Enro. last year, and same symptoms.

my vet is off until Thurs. There is no replacement.

I think it's hit and miss. my bun was using enro. in the past year, and she has no problem. But my other bunny Bobby was given Enro. last year, and same symptoms.

my vet is off until Thurs. There is no replacement.

I take my bunny to an after hours emergency clinic or a different veterinarian practice when my regular vet is not available.
It is not always easy to find another rabbit vet. your bunny may need a different abx to treat the kidney infection and a different pain reliever.
How is your bunny now? If she peeing?

I just do a search under this drug for human, since I use it only 3.5 times, I can totally cut it off. The drug should go away in 2 days according to google

she's peeing, so that's a good sign.

I just do a search under this drug for human, since I use it only 3.5 times, I can totally cut it off. The drug should go away in 2 days according to google

she's peeing, so that's a good sign.
Peeing is a positive sign, especially if she had kidney issue.
Sending you and your bunny some positive vibes for a full recovery.
What is your bunny's name? What breed is she?

I'm really sorry to hear about your bunny :(

I can only talk about gabapentin from having taken it as a human. I had to build the dose gradually, although I know you can jump straight in at a higher dose, but this is more likely to cause side effects (like nausea, tiredness). It's not like a paracetemol tablet that you expect to wear off in a few hours, it's designed to be a once a day sort of painkiller that stays in the system for a long time (it would be a few days for the last of it to leave a human's system). Withdrawal side-effects are quite grim too - nausea, tiredness, I think I went off food too, although obviously that's not as risky as it is for a bunny...

All I can suggest is that you don't increase the dose any further just now, and perhaps talk to your vet about side-effects. Make sure you taper down the dose gradually when your bun is ready to come off of the stuff. They will have mild side effects after every reduction in dose, but not as bad as stopping altogether.

Edit: Reading your post about dose amounts, I wonder whether to give one final dose of 0.02 24 hours after the last dose?

Last edited:
Bunny Momma, my bun is a Dutch, her name is Minnie, she's 12 yr. old

==================

since she's wearing off the effect, I give her sub-Q every 12 hr. or so. And I give her some liquid baby food, assuming she's willing to swallow it. Does anyone has any further idea on food ?

Back