• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed Door Suggestions Please!

Hollip0p

New Kit
Hi all,

We've just moved our house rabbits into their own shed and they are loving it, thank God! I was really worried they wouldn't like it.

Anyway, the end goal is to have a large enclosed run attached to the side of the shed that they have permanent access to. Unfortunately we are having to go away this weekend to see a family member who is ill and we haven't yet got the run attached - we've just been letting them free roam the garden during the day (I work from home most of the time and have been in the garden with them because of the lovely weather we've had!).

We've fitted the front panel from this dog pen (https://www.amazon.co.uk/BUNNY-BUSI...rge+puppy+pen&qid=1562579419&s=gateway&sr=8-7) inside the shed door so we can keep the door open without them being able to escape but the top half of the shed door is bare. Obviously we close and lock the shed door overnight.

As a one off for this weekend, my plan is to have a pet sitter go around Friday evening, Saturday morning and Monday morning to let them have an hour run around of the garden and top up their food etc but I was planning on leaving the shed door open so they get fresh air throughout the day (with the pen door stopping them escaping). This works fine when we are home but I am really nervous to leave them when we aren't there, in case a fox/cat gets in or they miraculously manage to jump the fence. (I have a family member staying at the house Saturday evening and all of Sunday so it's not an issue during that time.) I've not seen a cat or fox in the garden the whole time we've lived here (we have dogs so maybe that deters them?) but I just don't want to risk it.

Can anyone think of anything I could use to cover the top half without restricting access for the pet sitter? I am thinking a roller blind fitted sideways maybe or one of those door but I'm sure there must be a better option? A door screen like this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Curtain-Bl...s=door+screen&qid=1562579802&s=gateway&sr=8-6) seems like it could be easier (I'd shorten it so the rabbits can't chew it) but I'm not sure that would deter a fox or cat?

Thanks

Last edited:
Ideally an internal mesh door would be the answer. I used to keep my shed door open and I used to hang a piece of mesh/wire hung from 2 hooks making the whole doorway "safe". It's best to have the door closed at night of course.

Thanks for the replies :) a mesh style door is what we are aiming for eventually but I was trying to think of a quick and easy solution for the weekend.

We’ve gotten around it by hooking another of the dog cage panels above the one with the access panel, not ideal but it works and does the job for the weekend!

As others suggest, I had an additional secondary lockable aviary panel door made up before I went away once before. I wouldn't be happy with anything less, as it's wouldn't as secure. Even though you may not have seen any foxes they are always about.

Hope you are able to find a suitable alternative.

This is an old thread now and we never heard if all went well! I hope the Bunnies are still enjoying their shed.

Congratulations on successfully moving your rabbits into their new shed! It's great to hear that they are enjoying it.

Regarding your question, it's understandable to be worried about leaving your rabbits in the shed with the door open, especially if you're not going to be there to keep an eye on them. While a roller blind or a door screen could potentially work, they may not be the most secure options against predators like foxes or cats.

One solution could be to install a mesh panel on the top half of the shed door A mesh panel would provide ventilation while still keeping predators out. You could use wire mesh or chicken wire, and attach it securely to the top half of the door using screws or cable ties.

Alternatively, you could consider installing a lockable wire mesh gate on the top half of the door. This would allow fresh air to circulate while still providing security against predators. You could leave the bottom half of the door open and secure it with the pen door as usual.

If you're not comfortable with either of these options, you could consider temporarily moving your rabbits back indoors while you're away this weekend. This would give you peace of mind knowing that they are safe and secure while you're not there.

It's great that you have a pet sitter coming to check on your rabbits while you're away, but it's always better to err on the side of caution when it comes to their safety. I hope this helps, and good luck with finding a solution!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back