• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild rabbit....anyone with experience of raising a full wildie please?

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
Looking from advice from someone who has actually taken on a wildie.

We have experience of half wildies and they were difficult. We still have the last remaining one that is now 12 [emoji177]

This current one was taken in by rspca after being found in a lift ! After being attacked by magpies.

She’s been neutered and was homed with a family who tried to bond her but she’s terrified of rabbits. They returned her and a friend in the RSPCA passed her to us at Hopper Haven.

We let her settle then tried her with a lovely calm group of bunnies who were lovely to her, but she would just sit like a statue and really didn’t even start to enjoy being with them.

She alternates between freezing to virtually running up walls.

I have bought her to my home as I have a nice secure aviary/shed, with the aim of her getting used to my presence, but she’s so terrified of everything.

She eats well, and that’s about the only positive thing she has going at the moment.

Anyone with any experience and tips??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking from advice from someone who has actually taken on a wildie.

We have experience of half wildies and they were difficult. We still have the last remaining one that is now 12 [emoji177]

This current one was taken in by rspca after being found in a lift ! After being attacked by magpies.

She’s been neutered and was homed with a family who tried to bond her but she’s terrified of rabbits. They returned her and a friend in the RSPCA passed her to us at Hopper Haven.

We let her settle then tried her with a lovely calm group of bunnies who were lovely to her, but she would just sit like a statue and really didn’t even start to enjoy being with them.

She alternates between freezing to virtually running up walls.

I have bought her to my home as I have a nice secure aviary/shed, with the aim of her getting used to my presence, but she’s so terrified of everything.

She eats well, and that’s about the only positive thing she has going at the moment.

Anyone with any experience and tips??

Tamsin hand reared a Wildie (the late Scamp) and Parsnipbun has also got some wildies. Parsnipbun (Twigs Way) is best contacted via FB

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007256777882

or

https://www.facebook.com/Parsleypiert/

I've no experience of wildies, just want to wish you and little bunny good luck, hope she starts to learn to trust soon xx

At my local animal rescue, there is a wildie who has been there a few years due to having suffered an injury which would make life for him very difficult if ever released. Tilty is quite old now, but still quite skittish and very timid unless he knows and trust you and luckily he trusts me. We have short cuddles which he loves as he snuggles his head under my chin, but other than that he really doesn't enjoy engaging with humans.

This may be of use for you..

Cottontails rescue in Westbury rescue raised a leveret. I cant find a link on their site though ... Strange as I have read it a few times in the past.

Thank you for the suggestions. I’ve contacted a few so fingers crossed

We have a couple of elderly full wildies and various half wildies. They're super intelligent, easily startled and don't do well in general in a large rescue situation as generally form a close bond to one person.

We’ve had 4 full wildies and 2 half wildies, my first ever Rabbit was a wildies called Benji. We have Little One at the moment. I must say, i’ve never had an issue bonding, but mine were young rabbits, Benji had been hit by a car and the rest were either taken by cats or dogs. When anybody is there, they generally hide, but when they feel secure they are quite happy. we had Benji until he was 9, he lived with 2 un-neutered dwarf lop females ( neutering was much more dangerous back then, 25 years ago). He kept those girl under control if they ever bickered and snuggled up to them when all was calm ( he was the first rabbit my vets castrated!). If we went into to run, he would hide in the roof of the hutch, looking terrified, but in reality he was the boss bunny.
If given space and allowed to be themselves they are happy, but if this was an adult rabbit rescued, suspect it will find it harder to settle into a domestic situation.

Back