• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making own rabbit house

Soph M

New Kit
Has anyone made their bunny house from scratch? I’m looking for housing for new arrivals but I don’t like any. I’ve currently got a hutch from a certain pet store and I’m having to replace the wooden floor after exactly 1 year (it’s not been used in a month and I’m confused how it can deteriorate within this time as it was still useable last month). I love the shed houses and we’ve looked at playhouses, but we’re planning on moving by the end of next year & transporting a hutch in a house move 5 years ago was difficult enough.

I’m just looking for any advice really. Will it be cheaper/more expensive?

Has anyone made their bunny house from scratch? I’m looking for housing for new arrivals but I don’t like any. I’ve currently got a hutch from a certain pet store and I’m having to replace the wooden floor after exactly 1 year (it’s not been used in a month and I’m confused how it can deteriorate within this time as it was still useable last month). I love the shed houses and we’ve looked at playhouses, but we’re planning on moving by the end of next year & transporting a hutch in a house move 5 years ago was difficult enough.

I’m just looking for any advice really. Will it be cheaper/more expensive?

I think the limiting factor in your plans will be the need to be able to move it next year. I presume you moved your hutch as it is without dismantling it? Personally I think I would make do with what you have, the repaired hutch, and maybe build a large run which you can attach to the hutch. Then after your settled in your new home, consider a shed plus run.

We bought a shed for our rabbits and built a large run to attach to it with a catflap. It was very definitely cheaper to make the run than to buy one ready-made and also I like to think stronger. If we moved though we would be able to take it with us only by dimantling both the shed and the run, which would be possible, but not very easy.

I think the limiting factor in your plans will be the need to be able to move it next year. I presume you moved your hutch as it is without dismantling it? Personally I think I would make do with what you have, the repaired hutch, and maybe build a large run which you can attach to the hutch. Then after your settled in your new home, consider a shed plus run.

We bought a shed for our rabbits and built a large run to attach to it with a catflap. It was very definitely cheaper to make the run than to buy one ready-made and also I like to think stronger. If we moved though we would be able to take it with us only by dimantling both the shed and the run, which would be possible, but not very easy.

I agree with Omi :thumb:

I had 2 large hutches when I last moved and I dismantled at least one of them to move so it was a nightmare getting it ready in time for the buns to move back in. I’m being very picky with hutches as I want a plastic floor. The current hutch does have a run attached but I might stick an extension on it. I’ve got until September to find a new one/repair the current one as they’ll be indoors to make sure there aren’t any babies/make sure they are still bonded.

Thanks for the advice! Waiting until next year will give me a chance to get ideas from Pinterest.

Back