• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dillon is still thin

Could I have some suggestions regarding Dillon and helping him come back to his proper weight. He is still thin, he has unlimited hay, excel pellets, veggies and herbs, and some fruit - usually strawberries or banana nicked from my breakfast. Thank you

I used to use baby food mixed with critical care to help Teddy when he needed fattening up, he loved it!

Could I have some suggestions regarding Dillon and helping him come back to his proper weight. He is still thin, he has unlimited hay, excel pellets, veggies and herbs, and some fruit - usually strawberries or banana nicked from my breakfast. Thank you
-dear Cuthbert$dillion,--diet sounds/ok,but does he eat any...good idea would be as suggested to weigh him regularly-in kg,-with-digital scale--using a stethoscope or good ears listen for any severe teeth grinding,-and gi tract-[mild gurgling/rumbling]-and monitor the poops http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Poor Dilly. Firstly, an abundance of vibes from clan Hillian (especially Lillian) and hope that Dilly starts putting on a few pounds. Speaking from the other end of the spectrum with Lillian, Dilly's diet sounds perfect, very well balanced with all the vitamins a healthy gorgeous bun needs. In fact, it's not far off Lillians main shopping list except she just throws the pounds on. We usually use russel rabbit pellets along with Excel (Henry's preferred pellet) and i did read somewhere that the russel rabbit food is the more fattening.
Lillian has greens and the odd carrot slice.
You could look at porridge? Shelled peas might be an option (my bridge bun Ben adored these and loved to have them shelled whilst he patiently watched). Other than that I'm afraid I don't really have suggestions on putting weight on. I have to have the opposite conversation with my vet.
Are Dilly's poops ok?

I’m sure he’s had a vet check - teeth included - recently? You could try feeding him separately a few junior pellets, fibafirst sticks, Readigrass.

When my late bunny, Spenser, was poorly I have him pea flakes (picked out of rabbit mix) and also Protein pro-fibre pellets, to help his weight.

Yes, thank you he has had a vet check, his teeth are find. Susan seems to have piled on the pounds so Dillon gets pellets in the kitchen, Susan is scared to go in the kitchen. I will try as people have suggested and thank you.
I will get junior pellets and try him on oats/porridge - I bet he wants strawberries with his porridge!

Yes, thank you he has had a vet check, his teeth are find. Susan seems to have piled on the pounds so Dillon gets pellets in the kitchen, Susan is scared to go in the kitchen. I will try as people have suggested and thank you.
I will get junior pellets and try him on oats/porridge - I bet he wants strawberries with his porridge!

And why not? This is Dilly - beautiful Dilly. I'm sure he'd love that.
And also, you may have identified the culprit - the equally stunning Susan who is putting on a few extra curves. She may be snaffling Dilly's share so maybe some individual feeding might help to resolve the problem - but you'll also need to keep a close eye on Susans weight. It's a bit like the situation here - Henry gets what Lillian leaves (usually not much) so I've got to find a way of reducing Lillians input but not at the expence of Henry.

Have his recent Veterinary checks involved looking at his heart function ? I cant remember if he has had blood tests and if so what the results were ?

Back