Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebonding 2 rabbits after a fight

Default Rebonding 2 rabbits after a fight

Hi everyone, our male rabbits were neutered about 5 weeks ago. A week after they had a substantial fight which resulted in a visit to the vets because of a scratched eye. We separated them as soon as it happened and they have been separated ever since, but have been able to sniff /see each other due to the baby gate we have put up. I want to try and rebond them gradually, which I know will be a slow process, but wondered if anyone had any tips? I was going to try this evening in a neutral territory and see how they get on initially. They had such a lovely bond before, even the morning of the fight they were grooming eachother and would always lie with eachother. Any tips would be gratefully received! Thank you

I am not an expert, but a beginner and hope you will get better advice from more experienced users. But my two bucks were neutered last Tuesday, and I was told to keep them separated for at least 6 weeks until all hormones have settled before trying to re-bond them. They grew up together, they live now in a room that is split in two halves and always lay down at the fence for being near each other and I feel utterly tempted to allow them together. But I won't. I was told if they fight, it is a bad start for re-bonding them, so I will be patient.

Good luck for your two boys!

Sounds like you were given the right advice, we weren't told to separate them after the neutering and I wish I'd looked more in to it so I could have prevented the fight! I am also a beginner but would definitely suggest keeping them separate for the suggested amount of time - ours were getting on so well as normal and the fight happened so suddenly out of nowhere

Firstly, good luck!
    I had my two boys neutered at 20 weeks as they were starting to chase and hump constantly. They started fighting within hours of coming home resulting in my separating them. You can see details on this thread if you’re interested http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...n-should-I-try
    I’m planning on trying to reintroduce them either tomorrow or Sunday. They had a cage as a base (never locked in) which was still used by whichever rabbit was on that side of the room. I’ve thoroughly cleaned it and doused it in vinegar so it smells neutral and have put it in the lounge for the last couple of days so neither of them can access it. I plan to try and bond them in this, so it’s in the lounge where I can keep an eye on them. I’ve got some thick gardening gloves incase I need to seperate them to protect my hands. Have to confess I’m terrified of doing it, but am going to try and hold my nerve as I know there will be some fur pulling etc but will seperate them if it looks like they’re trying to lock on to each other, or if my gut tells me too. Hoping that everything goes well for your guys.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Update on the bonding:

We have tried to bond our two male rabbits twice since my last post and neither time has been much of a success. The first time they ignored each other for about a minute, then Ralph began to chase Reggie and bit a clump out of his fur. Reggie stomped his foot and went to attack Ralph, Ralph retaliated and a fight ensued which we instantly broke up and separated them again.

The second time was this morning. We set the area up with some pellets, some hay and some veggies and brought them both in at the same time. They ignored each other for about five minutes, Ralph was enjoying the pellets and reggie was sniffing around sussing out the new territory. Reggie went over to Ralph a few times and tried to sniff under his bum (if that makes sense?) like put his head under his tummy. Ralph didn't seem to mind this initially. Reggie also took a few nips at Ralph, who was still munching on the pellets so didn't seem to mind too much. The third time Reggie went to nip him Ralph had had enough and retaliated and a scrap broke out. There are no tell-tell signs such as circling or mounting as you might expect, it just turns straight into a fight where they are rolling around really quickly. We separated them and I checked them both over to check they were okay before putting them back down again to see if they just needed to work things out after one fight and they would be fine. They weren't. Reggie went straight back over to Ralph who got on the defense and the fighting started again. We decided to stop the bonding attempt and put them back in their areas.

I've watched so many videos and read so many articles on bonding but we're not having much luck. I was thinking of trying to get a professional in, either send them to a professional bonder or take them to someone to watch their bonding attempt to see if their bond was salvageable. Does anyone have any recommendations on people who do this sort of thing? Thanks in advance

Wise Old Thumper

Maybe add a location for where the bonder needs to be. Several forum members will have recommendations, but it depends where you are.

Ah that would be a good idea! We're in Manchester so anywhere within an hours drive would be ideal. Thanks

I'm sorry your boys aren't getting on - its quite scary when they tornado isn't it

Quote Originally Posted by Meganb View Post
    Ah that would be a good idea! We're in Manchester so anywhere within an hours drive would be ideal. Thanks
    I think Cuthbert&Dillon's bonder was in Leeds. Maybe drop her a message .

It is - I wish they understood that we just want them to be happy Do you have any contact details for her? Thank you

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Meganb View Post
    It is - I wish they understood that we just want them to be happy Do you have any contact details for her? Thank you
    Send her a private message by clicking on the Notifications box at the top right of the screen. Go to Inbox, then Send new message, then select her user name.