Thread: Bunny Arthritis-Is this glucosamine chondroitin product safe and effective?

Default Bunny Arthritis-Is this glucosamine chondroitin product safe and effective?

Has anyone used this glucosamine chondroitin product to relieve an old arthritic bunny's pain and make life a bit easier for them? Our 7yo Californian has pretty much lost the use of her back legs now which is heart breaking. We want to help her in any way we can. Is this product effective and safe? Anecdotes, input and advice will be most appreciative.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLEXWIZE-...YAAOSwbzNc5Rty

Hi, welcome to RU. I'm sorry your bunny is struggling. You could ask your vets thoughts. One of my rabbits has arthritis & I'd been feeding her Oxbow Joint support tablets (containing glucosamine) & asked my vet. She was unable to recommend them as she said there isn't the evidence base, however she'd be inclined to continue . So you may not get an answer but at least your vet would be able to say if they had concerns. I am not familiar with the product you linked.
    My bunny (who isn't so bad) has benefitted from having lots of soft floor coverings, gentle back massages & a plastic dog bed used as a litter tray for easier access. She is also on a small dose of metacam twice daily. I also give her Omega three small pet treats.

Is your bun on metacam / pain relief?

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Hi, welcome to RU. I'm sorry your bunny is struggling. You could ask your vets thoughts. One of my rabbits has arthritis & I'd been feeding her Oxbow Joint support tablets (containing glucosamine) & asked my vet. She was unable to recommend them as she said there isn't the evidence base, however she'd be inclined to continue . So you may not get an answer but at least your vet would be able to say if they had concerns. I am not familiar with the product you linked.
    My bunny (who isn't so bad) has benefitted from having lots of soft floor coverings, gentle back massages & a plastic dog bed used as a litter tray for easier access. She is also on a small dose of metacam twice daily. I also give her Omega three small pet treats.

Is your bun on metacam / pain relief?

Hi, cheers for your reply. Aye, she is on 1.5 ml daily Loxicom for pain relief, I spoke with our vet, they could nor recommend G/C for the same reason, aware of no evidence. I will run a search on Oxbow. If tablets, I am confident crushing them will be an easy way to administer them. What size is your rabbit and how much dosage do you give? Our Frankie is 4.6kg. Thanks aggain Joey and Boo

Quote Originally Posted by DickO View Post
    Hi, cheers for your reply. Aye, she is on 1.5 ml daily Loxicom for pain relief, I spoke with our vet, they could nor recommend G/C for the same reason, aware of no evidence. I will run a search on Oxbow. If tablets, I am confident crushing them will be an easy way to administer them. What size is your rabbit and how much dosage do you give? Our Frankie is 4.6kg. Thanks again Joey and Boo
    When I read reviews for the Oxbow ones everyone seemed to say their bunny wouldn't touch them OR they really seemed to help. If your bunny falls in to the former you could crush & mix with moist food. My Mousey gobbles them up no problem. She is 2.8k & has 2 tabs most days - the dosing is on the back of the packet, Mouse is on the higher end .

Are you in the UK?

When I read reviews for the Oxbow ones everyone seemed to say their bunny wouldn't touch them OR they really seemed to help. If your bunny falls in to the former you could crush & mix with moist food. My Mousey gobbles them up no problem. She is 2.8k & has 2 tabs most days - the dosing is on the back of the packet, Mouse is on the higher end .

Are you in the UK?
    Not using these ones, but one of mine is on the urinary support ones, and another on the gut ones, at first the urinary ones were considered not nice.. But now they're gobbled up like treats, same with the gut ones

It seems to be over 4lbs is 2 tabs a day for both of the ones I have, which is roughly 1.8kg - my buns are much heavier than this and I give 2 tabs per day ( 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening)

Just another thought has your bunny been diagnosed with arthritis? There's a few other conditions that can cause hind leg weakness or being unable to use them at all. I think I'd want to make sure it's definitely that first

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper

Something else to consider is that some vets will offer physiotherapy and acupuncture. No experience of either, but I think some people have found them helpful.

My vet did say Omega3 had a proven record but didn't know how to advise source & dose. I saw these in Petsathome. They are for "healthy skin & coat" but I get them hoping the omega3 will help Mouseys old wonky bones. They are also great for administering metacam too (by breaking them open). All my bunnies go nuts for them

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p...k-and-chappell

Mouse actually seems much brighter but these treats coincide with her metacam treatment so whether the treats get any credit - who knows ?

My vet did say Omega3 had a proven record but didn't know how to advise source & dose. I saw these in Petsathome. They are for "healthy skin & coat" but I get them hoping the omega3 will help Mouseys old wonky bones. They are also great for administering metacam too (by breaking them open). All my bunnies go nuts for them

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p...k-and-chappell

Mouse actually seems much brighter but these treats coincide with her metacam treatment so whether the treats get any credit - who knows ?
    Ooo when you break them in half is there a hole that would hold liquid?

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Ooo when you break them in half is there a hole that would hold liquid?

a tiny hole but Mousey is only on 6 drops. It absorbs that much easily. Currently putting panacur sort of mashed in to them. They love these treats so much I suspect they might even mask baytril - hopefully wont have to test that theory though

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Not using these ones, but one of mine is on the urinary support ones, and another on the gut ones, at first the urinary ones were considered not nice.. But now they're gobbled up like treats, same with the gut ones

It seems to be over 4lbs is 2 tabs a day for both of the ones I have, which is roughly 1.8kg - my buns are much heavier than this and I give 2 tabs per day ( 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening)

Just another thought has your bunny been diagnosed with arthritis? There's a few other conditions that can cause hind leg weakness or being unable to use them at all. I think I'd want to make sure it's definitely that first

I agree, without a definitive diagnosis of Arthritis I would be relucatnt to just assume that is what the problem is. This link may be useful to take alook at

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurolo...ls/paresis.htm

Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund- a fantastic source of information about Rabbits

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/