• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Arthritis-Is this glucosamine chondroitin product safe and effective?

Hi, welcome to RU. I'm sorry your bunny is struggling. You could ask your vets thoughts. One of my rabbits has arthritis & I'd been feeding her Oxbow Joint support tablets (containing glucosamine) & asked my vet. She was unable to recommend them as she said there isn't the evidence base, however she'd be inclined to continue . So you may not get an answer but at least your vet would be able to say if they had concerns. I am not familiar with the product you linked.
My bunny (who isn't so bad) has benefitted from having lots of soft floor coverings, gentle back massages & a plastic dog bed used as a litter tray for easier access. She is also on a small dose of metacam twice daily. I also give her Omega three small pet treats.

Is your bun on metacam / pain relief?

Hi, welcome to RU. I'm sorry your bunny is struggling. You could ask your vets thoughts. One of my rabbits has arthritis & I'd been feeding her Oxbow Joint support tablets (containing glucosamine) & asked my vet. She was unable to recommend them as she said there isn't the evidence base, however she'd be inclined to continue . So you may not get an answer but at least your vet would be able to say if they had concerns. I am not familiar with the product you linked.
My bunny (who isn't so bad) has benefitted from having lots of soft floor coverings, gentle back massages & a plastic dog bed used as a litter tray for easier access. She is also on a small dose of metacam twice daily. I also give her Omega three small pet treats.

Is your bun on metacam / pain relief?

Hi, cheers for your reply. Aye, she is on 1.5 ml daily Loxicom for pain relief, I spoke with our vet, they could nor recommend G/C for the same reason, aware of no evidence. I will run a search on Oxbow. If tablets, I am confident crushing them will be an easy way to administer them. What size is your rabbit and how much dosage do you give? Our Frankie is 4.6kg. Thanks aggain Joey and Boo :)

Hi, cheers for your reply. Aye, she is on 1.5 ml daily Loxicom for pain relief, I spoke with our vet, they could nor recommend G/C for the same reason, aware of no evidence. I will run a search on Oxbow. If tablets, I am confident crushing them will be an easy way to administer them. What size is your rabbit and how much dosage do you give? Our Frankie is 4.6kg. Thanks again Joey and Boo :)

When I read reviews for the Oxbow ones everyone seemed to say their bunny wouldn't touch them OR they really seemed to help. If your bunny falls in to the former you could crush & mix with moist food. My Mousey gobbles them up no problem. She is 2.8k & has 2 tabs most days - the dosing is on the back of the packet, Mouse is on the higher end .

Are you in the UK?

When I read reviews for the Oxbow ones everyone seemed to say their bunny wouldn't touch them OR they really seemed to help. If your bunny falls in to the former you could crush & mix with moist food. My Mousey gobbles them up no problem. She is 2.8k & has 2 tabs most days - the dosing is on the back of the packet, Mouse is on the higher end .

Are you in the UK?
Not using these ones, but one of mine is on the urinary support ones, and another on the gut ones, at first the urinary ones were considered not nice.. But now they're gobbled up like treats, same with the gut ones :)

It seems to be over 4lbs is 2 tabs a day for both of the ones I have, which is roughly 1.8kg - my buns are much heavier than this and I give 2 tabs per day ( 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening)

Just another thought has your bunny been diagnosed with arthritis? There's a few other conditions that can cause hind leg weakness or being unable to use them at all. I think I'd want to make sure it's definitely that first :)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Something else to consider is that some vets will offer physiotherapy and acupuncture. No experience of either, but I think some people have found them helpful.

My vet did say Omega3 had a proven record but didn't know how to advise source & dose. I saw these in Petsathome. They are for "healthy skin & coat" but I get them hoping the omega3 will help Mouseys old wonky bones. They are also great for administering metacam too (by breaking them open). All my bunnies go nuts for them

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/small-pet/rabbit/rabbit-treats/nutri-care-treat-ums-by-mark-and-chappell

Mouse actually seems much brighter but these treats coincide with her metacam treatment so whether the treats get any credit - who knows ?

My vet did say Omega3 had a proven record but didn't know how to advise source & dose. I saw these in Petsathome. They are for "healthy skin & coat" but I get them hoping the omega3 will help Mouseys old wonky bones. They are also great for administering metacam too (by breaking them open). All my bunnies go nuts for them

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/small-pet/rabbit/rabbit-treats/nutri-care-treat-ums-by-mark-and-chappell

Mouse actually seems much brighter but these treats coincide with her metacam treatment so whether the treats get any credit - who knows ?
Ooo when you break them in half is there a hole that would hold liquid? :D:D

Ooo when you break them in half is there a hole that would hold liquid? :D:D

a tiny hole but Mousey is only on 6 drops. It absorbs that much easily. Currently putting panacur sort of mashed in to them. They love these treats so much I suspect they might even mask baytril - hopefully wont have to test that theory though

Not using these ones, but one of mine is on the urinary support ones, and another on the gut ones, at first the urinary ones were considered not nice.. But now they're gobbled up like treats, same with the gut ones :)

It seems to be over 4lbs is 2 tabs a day for both of the ones I have, which is roughly 1.8kg - my buns are much heavier than this and I give 2 tabs per day ( 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening)

Just another thought has your bunny been diagnosed with arthritis? There's a few other conditions that can cause hind leg weakness or being unable to use them at all. I think I'd want to make sure it's definitely that first :)

I agree, without a definitive diagnosis of Arthritis I would be relucatnt to just assume that is what the problem is. This link may be useful to take alook at

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Differentials/paresis.htm

Back