• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

3rd bout of stasis in 4 months

demikaijuu

Warren Scout
Georgie boy is on his way to the vets with his 3rd bout of stasis since March. It’s not his teeth (they were trimmed last time he was in 3 weeks ago) and previously his blood work has come back ok given his age.
However he’s not a well bun, and he’s 9 years old now and I’m terrified that the frequent stasis is a symptom of something more sinister. I don’t want him in pain or suffering (and he’s fully insured so cost isn’t an issue) but I’m beginning to wonder how much more treatment and testing I put him through before it’s not fair on him anymore.
Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks

Perhaps it's something to do with his diet. I have a few elderly bunnies but they have no problems. Could you tell us what he eats on a daily basis? Has he suffered with Stasis in the past?

Perhaps it's something to do with his diet. I have a few elderly bunnies but they have no problems. Could you tell us what he eats on a daily basis? Has he suffered with Stasis in the past?

Yep he gets a small amount of Burgess excel both morning and evening, unlimited hay (and he’s a hay monster he adores the stuff) and leafy greens/herbs with his pellets. He gets fresh water every day.
It’s the same diet he’s had for the last few years (the veg varies depending on what’s in season) and I don’t give him anything new or change it up

His first bout of stasis (ever) was in March and it cleared up with fluids and medication at the vets. 2nd bout was 3/4 weeks ago at which point they did some more tests and had a good luck at his teeth as well as filing down a couple of spurs at the back - but there was no soft tissue damage. And then the most recent one is this morning - he just stops eating and drinking and hunches in his cage

Last edited:
When it happened this morning, did it happen after he'd had some food earlier, or did you go to see him with food and he wasn't interested in it?

A few years ago I had a geriatric ward of old bunnies.
If your bunny is less active he will be more prone to stasis. Does your bunny have arthritis?
As noted above, old bunnies may not have the same ability to process the same foods they were able to eat in the past.
If your bunny has stasis after over indulging in any one food, you may want to consider giving less or offering it in two or three small portions.
Some bunnies need a maintenance dose of motility meds.
Has your bunny had X-rays, urinalysis, or other diagnostics?
If your bunny drinking enough water and staying hydrated? The bunny's system pulls water from the gut which dehydrates gut contents if they are not drinking enough water.

Last edited:
Back